Repeated crashs after CPU fan change

Post by Guillaume Fili » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I change my CPU fan and my BIOS battery three days ago on my Linux 120 Mhz
server Box, and in three days, I got two crashs (on Linux)... The crashs
were like:
Kernel Panic, or
Complete freeze of tty, or
Impossible to log-in (error was: Too much fragmentation (or something like
that))

The only way to reboot was to hit the reset button on the Box, and then I
got those kind of errors:
'Boot sequence corrupted, giving up', or
'Kernel currupted, impossible to uncompress', or
Not even a LILO boot!

The solution is relatively easy, I just shut-off the computer for about
half an hour, and start it again: I boot like if nothing had never
hapenned (except for the disk check forced).

As you can see this is a strange problem, and I'm about sure this is
hardware related, but I don't know what hardware. Could someone point me
what is wrong?

TIA,
GFK's
--
Wow! www.windows2000test.com can detect weather, and
shut down by itself before being hit by lightning, what could be better!!

Repeated crashs after CPU fan change

Post by Stuart R. Full » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: Hi all,
:
[...]

I'd start with the new fan.  Is it still running?  Is it similar to the old
one?  What about the heat sink - same size or larger than the old one?  Heat
sink thermal compound between the cpu and the heatsink?

What about the fan in the power supply?  Is it still running?

        Stu

Repeated crashs after CPU fan change

Post by Guillaume Fili » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> : I change my CPU fan and my BIOS battery three days ago on my Linux 120 Mhz
> : server Box, and in three days, I got two crashs (on Linux)... The crashs
> : were like:
> : Kernel Panic, or
> : Complete freeze of tty, or
> : Impossible to log-in (error was: Too much fragmentation (or something like
> : that))
> :
> : The only way to reboot was to hit the reset button on the Box, and then I
> : got those kind of errors:
> : 'Boot sequence corrupted, giving up', or
> : 'Kernel currupted, impossible to uncompress', or
> : Not even a LILO boot!
> :
> : The solution is relatively easy, I just shut-off the computer for about
> : half an hour, and start it again: I boot like if nothing had never
> : hapenned (except for the disk check forced).
> :
> : As you can see this is a strange problem, and I'm about sure this is
> : hardware related, but I don't know what hardware. Could someone point me
> : what is wrong?

> I'd start with the new fan.  Is it still running?  Is it similar to the old
> one?  What about the heat sink - same size or larger than the old one?  Heat
> sink thermal compound between the cpu and the heatsink?

> What about the fan in the power supply?  Is it still running?

Stu,

The new fan is running nice. It is bigger than the older one, it may take
more power than the old one. The old one was connected serial with the
hard drive, so in case the new one is taking more power, I connected it
alone on it's own plug.

The brand is a Cooler Master TP5-5020B. The heatsink is a little bit
larger than the old one and I didn't put compound between the cpu and the
heatsink.

The power supply's fan is working as good as before...

Can you guess something with this?
Thanks,
GFK's

Post by hac » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > : I change my CPU fan and my BIOS battery three days ago on my Linux 120 Mhz
> > : server Box, and in three days, I got two crashs (on Linux)... The crashs
> > : were like:
> > : Kernel Panic, or
> > : Complete freeze of tty, or
> > : Impossible to log-in (error was: Too much fragmentation (or something like
> > : that))
> > :
> > : The only way to reboot was to hit the reset button on the Box, and then I
> > : got those kind of errors:
> > : 'Boot sequence corrupted, giving up', or
> > : 'Kernel currupted, impossible to uncompress', or
> > : Not even a LILO boot!
> > :
> > : The solution is relatively easy, I just shut-off the computer for about
> > : half an hour, and start it again: I boot like if nothing had never
> > : hapenned (except for the disk check forced).
> > :
> > : As you can see this is a strange problem, and I'm about sure this is
> > : hardware related, but I don't know what hardware. Could someone point me
> > : what is wrong?

> > I'd start with the new fan.  Is it still running?  Is it similar to the old
> > one?  What about the heat sink - same size or larger than the old one?  Heat
> > sink thermal compound between the cpu and the heatsink?

> > What about the fan in the power supply?  Is it still running?

> Stu,

> The new fan is running nice. It is bigger than the older one, it may take
> more power than the old one. The old one was connected serial with the
> hard drive, so in case the new one is taking more power, I connected it
> alone on it's own plug.

> The brand is a Cooler Master TP5-5020B. The heatsink is a little bit
> larger than the old one and I didn't put compound between the cpu and the

A bigger heatsink does no good if the heat doesn't get from the cpu to
the heatsink.

Quote:> heatsink.

--

Repeated crashs after CPU fan change

Post by Tim Moor » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I change my CPU fan and my BIOS battery three days ago on my Linux 120 Mhz
> server Box, and in three days, I got two crashs (on Linux)... The crashs

Did you reset BIOS defaults?
--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

1. BE6 CPU Fan - Fan Voltages

Hi,
    back in Nov 99 I bought a BE6 based computer, largely to my own
spec.  It has a PIII-450(Katmai) with an Intel fan.

I noticed that the CPU fan was on Fan3 and changed it to Fan1. Shortly
after boot Winbond Doctor screeched and I was horrified to realise that
the fan was not running.
Winbond Hardware Doctor 2.10 does nit have an entry for the CPU fan.
Anybody know why that is?

I have tried adding 12v fans on Fan2 but without effect. It seems to me
that only Fan3 works. Naturally I can't measure the fan speed either.

Can anybody tell me what voltages should be present on the 3 pins?

As I wanted to overclock I have been forced to use mains voltage fans.

TIA,
     Tim

2. Slow Telnet Login

3. EPOX MVP3C-M motherboard - accessing CPU temperature/fan speed

4. Newbie w/ Sound card not detected and NFS problem?

5. Monitoring things like CPU temperature, fan speed, etc.

6. Comments wanted on Linux

7. CPU fan for 21164PC

8. cmdtool questions

9. athlon bios reports cpu fan not running

10. CPU Fans

11. Cool CPU - no fan required?

12. CPU fan needs a push to get started

13. Recommended CPU fans for dual 933 MHz PIII (Slot 1)?