sound configuration: redhat 7.1

Post by Luke Vanderflui » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 08:24:47

Hi,

using linux 2.4
I have the sound module working
However when I try to configure it with sndconfig, it complains that it
can't open /dev/audio
when I do 'cat /dev/sndstat', I get a permission denied message.

I've read that with 2.4 kernel, /dev/sndstat is no longer used.
If so, what do I use to check the status of the sound module?

'dmesg' gives the following, which might be useful in tracking the fault.

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: Creative SB16 PnP detected
sb: ISAPnP reports 'Creative SB16 PnP' at i/o 0x220, irq 5, dma 1, 5
SB 4.13 detected OK (220)
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 5a50beec
  printing eip:
c8898330
pgd entry c52675a4: 0000000000000000
pmd entry c52675a4: 0000000000000000
... pmd not present!
Oops: 0002

any help appreciated,
Luke

1. Sound configuration RH 7.1

[...]

2. : How to change keyboard layout under Openwin?

3. redhat 7.1 MRTG configuration

4. ATI 3D XPRESSION PCI in XFree86 or MetroX?

5. Where is the kernel configuration file, kernel installed by RedHat 7.1?

6. Where's the setting of refresh rate ?

7. Internet Configuration(Cable Modem) with Redhat 7.1

8. monitor problem

9. sound problem with Redhat 7.1

10. Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

11. Sound Driver For Thinkpad A30 w/RedHat 7.1

12. Please help me to get sound to work on redhat linux 7.1

13. RedHat 7.1/kernel 2.4.4 sound and eth0 issues