How to adjust mouse speed?

Post by Stonewall Balla » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I went though the DejaNews archives on Linux, and found many people asking
this question, but no satisfactory answer. I'm going to try again.

I have a Kensington Orbit trackball on a PC (also on my Macs), but it's
just too slow. The problems is that the Orbit is a higher resolution than
a standard mouse, so you have to move it about twice as far to get the
same effect.

The mouse speed controls I've found all affect only the acceleration and
the threshold at which acceleration kicks in. I have not found anything
that changes the basic mouse speed.

It appears from the doc on xset, that there is no control for the basic
mouse speed.

I've tried changing the "SampleRate" in /etc/XF86Config, but it seems to
be able to only slow the trackball down, not speed it up. I suspect that
this is something to do with the sample timing, not the resolution of the
data.

Does anyone know where there is a control for changing the basic mouse
speed? Is this part of X, or is it somewhere else?

Thanks for any help.

  - Stoney

--
Stonewall Ballard                    StoneSoft, Inc.

How to adjust mouse speed?

Post by Julie Brand » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>> I have a Kensington Orbit trackball on a PC (also on my Macs), but it's
>> just too slow. The problems is that the Orbit is a higher resolution than
>> a standard mouse, so you have to move it about twice as far to get the
>> same effect.

(Original poster: That's lower resolution actually)

Quote:>I know you can tune various parameters that pertain to mouse control using the
>most recent version of svgalib.  However I do not know off hand if X uses
>svgalib.

Ack!  Fortunately no, X is not based on SVGAlib.  *8-)

What a terrifying thought!!!!

Ta-ra,
  Julie.

--
To reply by e-mail use the supplied Reply-To: address from the message headers
(your software should do this automatically).  There is no need to edit that

1. adjusting mouse speed

I am aware of threshold and acceleration, but is thre a way to adjust
the actual mouse speed?  I like my mice very sensitive, and default
setting are usually too sluggish for me.  I suppose that the
work-around would be to set threshold to 0 and turn up accel, but I
would love a better solution.  In Windows the setting exists, and in
Linux I believe the 'Resolution' setting in the XF86Config will do
this, albeit not that well.

Thanks for any ideas.

-Ken

2. (Q) Anybody got masquerade working under 2.4.7?

3. How do you adjust mouse speed/accelleration?

4. KDE2.1 startmelodie

5. Speed of mouse tracking -- how to adjust?

6. script query

7. How adjust ehtenet line speed from 100Mbs to 10Mbs

8. rs6000 7043P-140 shuts down at POST code F88

9. How to adjust scroll speed in text widgets (kmail, knode, etc.)?

10. Adjusting double-click speed in XFree86

11. Adjust speed of CPU Cooler on an MSI Neo2

12. adjusting port speed

13. How to adjust speed & duplex mode (Inter(R) Ethernet PRO/100+)