PCI/SCSI AHA-2920 problems installing SW 3.2 - HELP!

PCI/SCSI AHA-2920 problems installing SW 3.2 - HELP!

Post by John Rumbal » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Greetings,

  This morning I began installing Linux (for the very first time) SlackWare
3.2 onto my P100/32mb system.  This system has a VX motherboard, PCI SCSI
controller (Adaptec AHA-2920) and ST-31230N 1gb SCSI hard drive.  The hd
already has Win95 installed on a 600mb VFAT32 partition.

  I am at the early stage where I am trying to boot Linux from appropriate
BOOT/ROOT diskettes which I made from the CD (using VIEW).  I wasn't sure
what boot image to use because I could not find any reference to AHA-2920
in the docs, so I used scsi.s to create my boot disk.

  During the boot process, as text flew by, I noticed that the system
appeared to NOT find my SCSI controller (I saw something like "SCSI hosts =
0").  However, I was able to successfully boot and then log in as root.

  Then, when I attempted to create a Linux partition (using "fdisk
/dev/sda") it told me that the device could not be found!

QUESTIONS
---------

1) Did I do something wrong?  I WAS following the installation guide that
came with SlackWare 3.2.

2) Why didn't the boot disk find my PCI-based AHA-2920 controller? Is this
controller not yet supported in Linux?

3) I've been reading abit about Win95 VFAT32 issue wrt Linux... could this
be part of my problem?

  I'd appreciate any and all help with this, either by e-mail or by posting
to the group.  Thanks for taking the time to read this.

John  VE3BUS

PCI/SCSI AHA-2920 problems installing SW 3.2 - HELP!

Post by Krzysztof Gozdziews » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hello!

AHA-2920 IS supported by Linux, using Future Domain driver.
Reinstall Linux or recompile kernel of the system, adding support of
the driver (check IO port and IRQ of the device).

For me works.

Good luck.

Chris

:

--
 ^-^  ~ Krzysztof Go\'zdziewski
(o o) ~ Torun Centre for Astronomy

1. PCI/SCSI AHA-2920 problems installing SW 3.2 - HELP!

[...]

John Rumball, District Systems Officer

Sudbury,ON.Canada

2. Shared libs

3. PCI/SCSI AHA-2920 problems installing SW 3.2 - h e l p

4. Why won't this work?

5. Problems installing Linux with AHA-2920 PCI

6. Billing Systems

7. Linux Install, PP200, SCSI adaptec AHA-2920 controler

8. Is anyone out there running Ptolemy on Linux?

9. AHA-2920 scsi problems

10. Problems detecting SCSI card (AHA-2920)

11. Support for ADAPTEC's SCSI AHA-2920 board

12. AHA-2920 SCSI adaptor

13. EIDE for disks, AHA-2920 SCSI for everything else