kernel: Unexpected IRQ Vector 216 on CPU0?

kernel: Unexpected IRQ Vector 216 on CPU0?

Post by Gal Goldschmid » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 11:54:33

Hi,

This is the first time I see such a warning.

I just managed to install Linux (2.2.17) on a SuperMicro 370DLE (
ServerWorks Chip Set )
512M Registered ECC
2x 733 PIII
Mylex 170
ATI 4M Rage PCI
It works fine and compile the kernel a few times in a row.

But after some time the X die, resulting in the above message.
I manage to access using  ssh and watch the log, there I see the above
massage.
I can't shutdown or run top ( ps works) , killing the X  does not help
and
of course it won't restart.

Any one has experience with this board or error message?

Thank You
Gal

Post by Chris Ranki » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 10:03:55

> I just managed to install Linux (2.2.17) on a SuperMicro 370DLE (
> ServerWorks Chip Set )
> 512M Registered ECC
> 2x 733 PIII
> Mylex 170
> ATI 4M Rage PCI

I suspected a Supermicro board, somehow. Check your dmesg output and see
what happened with the IO-APIC initialisation. You may have to add the
"noapic" option to your lilo parameters to stablise the thing.

I think that the problem is that the IO-APICs are of a version unknown
to Linux; if you have any more complete information about what went

the IO-APIC maintainer?

Chris

1. kernel 2.2.5, SMP and "unexpected IRQ vector 7"

Ok, here's the deal: one of the machines I work on at work (of all places)
is a Dual PPro system (we use it to run Bugzilla and as backup internal
web server for our group). It's been running stock 2.0.36 (w/ SMP turned
on) for the past couple of months w/o any trouble. A few days ago, I
decided to give 2.2.x a whirl. After compiling and installing, I rebooted
and everything looked fine until I ran dmesg which printed out:

vector 7 on CPU#0!
unexpected IRQ vector 7 on CPU#0!
(ad infentum)

When I went to look at the system (it's not in my cube), the console was a
continuous stream of "unexpected IRQ vector 7 on CPU#0!". However, this
error message is the only indication that there's some sort of problem;
everything appears to run just fine (the response time for Bugzilla has
even gone down a little bit) and 2.2.5 takes about 2/3 the time of 2.0.36
to boot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this? I'm kind
of tossing around the idea that it's just some sort of error in the error
detection of 2.2.x, but meanwhile, I'm back to running 2.0.36 just to be
on the safe side.

Much thanks,
Noah Romer
--
Noah Romer              | "I hold a firm belief in the stupidity and

PGP key available       | - me
by finger or email      |

2. HELP: NS problem: Doc contained no data

3. NIC Card at IRQ 216 ???

4. KNode (No Caching) - What am I doing no wrong

5. Abit BP6 and Unexpected IRQ Vectors

6. pine sementation faults...

7. Unexpected IRQ vector... what?

8. different sshd permissions for different ports

9. Kernel: IRQ Vector Problem in SMP

10. get/set IRQ vector in kernel version 2.2.x

11. Attention UNIX users in 216 & 330 Area Codes

12. rcp - Protocol error, 216.89.105.106 closed connection

13. message for 216