Hard disk with bad blocks

Post by Yves-Chandler Eynar » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

My 540mb drive has developed some bad blocks in (of course) my usr dir.
Not too many, but enough to bring the machine to its knees whenever I
try to read that dir (in reality, attempt to read the bad blocks). So,
I'm about to replace it, but my query is: Can you mark block n bad so as
to aviod reading/writing to it? And if 'yes', how?

It seems a shame to toss 539.9 mb for that .1 that failed. (granted,
I'll never trust that disk again and disks are cheap these days, but all
in all, it's real estate that I currently have a position in, so to
speak ;{)  )

Thanks in advance.

--
Yves-Chandler Eynard

Hard disk with bad blocks

Post by Benno J. Overeind » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>My 540mb drive has developed some bad blocks in (of course) my usr dir.
>Not too many, but enough to bring the machine to its knees whenever I
>try to read that dir (in reality, attempt to read the bad blocks). So,
>I'm about to replace it, but my query is: Can you mark block n bad so as
>to aviod reading/writing to it? And if 'yes', how?

If you know which blocks are causing you trouble, you can create
a file system with mke2fs which reads a list with bad blocks from
a file (-l option).  You can also try mke2fs -c, or fsck with an
option for bad block detection will also remap the blocks.

Benno
--
 Benno Overeinder                        Department of Computer Science
 voice: (+31) 20 525 7536                University of Amsterdam

1. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

Hello, dear Internet friends !!

Anyone can tell me if there is any utility to lock the bad sectors for
the ext2fs under Linux without re-initiating the harddisk.

I used "fsck /dev/hdaX" to fix the filesystem but it could not lock
the physical bad-sectors. When I wrote something to hit the bad
sector, my Linux Panic could get Kernel Panic due to accessing
some bad sectors. "fsck" or "exfsck" cannot fix them and it can
only recover the damaged file system only (NOT the bad sectors).
Can you tell me how to do ?

Thanks for your creat help !!!

Best Regards. Louie

2. httpd core dumps

3. Can I use a Hard Disk with some bad blocks w/ Linux?

4. BroadBandBuyer.com

5. hard disk bad block detection routine

6. Need Advice on LOCAL newsgroups

7. Bad blocks on hard disk

8. File locking with vi ????

9. Finding out if there are bad blocks in the bad blocks list

10. How do you add a bad block to e2fs bad block list?

11. How do I check for bad blocks on my hard drive?

12. frequency of dup/bad blocks on hard drive

13. bad blocks on hard drive