DVD / CD burner support Redhat 9

Post by Drew Cutte » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:27:24

I'm looking to use plextor dvd/cd burner to two servers . Could not find
any mention of what cd/dvd burner are supported up redhat 9 . Any help
would be appreciated.

DVD / CD burner support Redhat 9

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:39:27

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:27:24 -0400, Drew Cutter staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> Could not find any mention of what cd/dvd burner are supported up
> redhat 9 .

"supported up Redhat 9"?  Proofread your messages carefully to see if
you any words out.  It'd be quicker to list the CD-RWs that *don't* work.

Since 1998, all IDE CD-RWs have supported the MMC-3 standard, which is
fully supported in Linux.  SCSI CD-RWs have always Just Worked.  USB
CD-RWs will Just Work in almost all cases.  Firewire is still sorta up
in the air.  Parport is too slow and too expensive.

You shouldn't have any problems with a Plextor drive.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

DVD / CD burner support Redhat 9

Post by Drew Cutte » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:58:54

Thanks . Just don't want to waste money to find out that its not
supported yet. Could you recommend software to allow me to backup my
logs on DVD ?

Post by Alain.Bo.. » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:33:30

> Thanks . Just don't want to waste money to find out that its not
> supported yet. Could you recommend software to allow me to backup my
> logs on DVD ?

cdrecord-prodvd
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

If anyone knows about other programs (this version of cdrecord is unfortunately not
open source), I'd be glad to hear about it...

--
Alain Borel

DVD / CD burner support Redhat 9

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:38:39

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 06:58:54 -0400, Drew Cutter staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

When following up to a Usenet message, include context so people know
what you're talking about.  Context restored:

>>On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:27:24 -0400, Drew Cutter staggered into the
>>Black Sun and said:
>>> Could not find any mention of what cd/dvd burner are supported up
>>> redhat 9 .
>> Since 1998, all IDE CD-RWs have supported the MMC-3 standard, which
>> is fully supported in Linux.  SCSI CD-RWs have always Just Worked.
>> USB CD-RWs will Just Work in almost all cases.  Firewire is still
>> sorta up in the air.  Parport is too slow and too expensive.
> Thanks . Just don't want to waste money to find out that its not
> supported yet. Could you recommend software to allow me to backup my
> logs on DVD ?

For recording to DVD, you can't use cdrecord, you probably want
dvdrecord, available from http://www.nongnu.org/dvdrtools/ .  dvdrecord
is a command-line program like cdrecord, and is for writing to DVD-R
media.  If you use a modern GUI frontend like cdbakeoven, you can tell
it to use dvdrecord instead of cdrecord, and it'll work.  (Don't try
this with XCDRoast.)

DVD-RW recording is slightly different.  If you want to do multisession
writing, you'll need growisofs.  HTH,

Post by Markus Kossman » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:48:54

>> Thanks . Just don't want to waste money to find out that its not
>> supported yet. Could you recommend software to allow me to backup my
>> logs on DVD ?

> cdrecord-prodvd
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

That supports only DVD-RW/-R. For the +RW/+R variant you want to read
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

--

DVD / CD burner support Redhat 9

Post by Mike Cast » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 14:56:53

Context is maintained by using a modern news reader that supports
threading.

mrc

--

    We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan.  -- Watchmen

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:15:57

> Context is maintained by using a modern news reader that supports
> threading.

Ever read the Netiquette Guidelines (RFC 1855 from the
Internet Engineering Task Force, http://www.ietf.org/)?
Section 3.1.1 reads in part:

  If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be
sure you
  summarize the original at the top of the message, or
include just
  enough text of the original to give a context.  This will
make
  sure readers understand when they start to read your
response.
  Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing
the
  postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
  response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving