IBM Thinkpad R40 --> kernel is loading veeery slowly!

IBM Thinkpad R40 --> kernel is loading veeery slowly!

Post by Joerg Morbitze » Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:49:38

Hi all,

I just bought an IBM Thinkpad R40 and installed Debian Sarge (testing)
on it (kernel 2.4.22-1-686). Everything went smoothly, but there is one
issue that makes me a bit unhappy: the Linux kernel boots extremely
slowly from the harddisk! So when you see the very first message
it takes more than a minute until the kernel is loaded (on other laptops
or desktop PCs it takes not longer than 5 seconds). Once the kernel is
loaded the normal startup is as fast as I expect. So for me it looks
like the the harddisk is extremely slow until the DMA is activated by
the kernel.

Unfortunately there is nothing to configure in the BIOS concerning PIO
modes or DMA. I tried different boot options (like ide0=dma etc.) but
without any success.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, Joerg.

--

Forum: http://www.morbitzer.de/cgi-bin/cutecast/cutecast.pl

IBM Thinkpad R40 --> kernel is loading veeery slowly!

Post by Mark Carrol » Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:06:20

(snip)

Quote:>I just bought an IBM Thinkpad R40 and installed Debian Sarge (testing)
>on it (kernel 2.4.22-1-686). Everything went smoothly, but there is one
(snip)
>Any ideas would be helpful.

FWIW I have an R40 (2681) running 2.4.22 i686 and I don't see the
problem you do. Feel free to have me send you bits of my config or
something.

-- Mark

Post by Philip Armstro » Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:48:30

Quote:>I just bought an IBM Thinkpad R40 and installed Debian Sarge (testing)
>on it (kernel 2.4.22-1-686). Everything went smoothly, but there is one
>issue that makes me a bit unhappy: the Linux kernel boots extremely
>slowly from the harddisk! So when you see the very first message
>it takes more than a minute until the kernel is loaded (on other laptops
>or desktop PCs it takes not longer than 5 seconds). Once the kernel is
>loaded the normal startup is as fast as I expect. So for me it looks
>like the the harddisk is extremely slow until the DMA is activated by
>the kernel.

>Unfortunately there is nothing to configure in the BIOS concerning PIO
>modes or DMA. I tried different boot options (like ide0=dma etc.) but
>without any success.

>Any ideas would be helpful.

It's probably nothing to do with DMA. Some bioses are really slow at
doing disc access. Try adding the line

  compact

to /etc/lilo.conf and rerunning lilo. This turns on map compaction so
that adjacent reads can be merged into a single read when lilo loads
the kernel. It doesn't work on all bioses though which is why it isn't
on by default. Any recent bios should be ok.

Phil

IBM Thinkpad R40 --> kernel is loading veeery slowly!

Post by Joerg Morbitze » Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:42:24

Quote:

> It's probably nothing to do with DMA. Some bioses are really slow at
> doing disc access. Try adding the line

>   compact

> to /etc/lilo.conf and rerunning lilo. This turns on map compaction so
> that adjacent reads can be merged into a single read when lilo loads
> the kernel. It doesn't work on all bioses though which is why it isn't
> on by default. Any recent bios should be ok.

Thanks a lot for the hint, instead of more than a minute the kernel is
now loading off the harddisk within a second !!!

Kind regards, Joerg.

--

Forum: http://www.morbitzer.de/cgi-bin/cutecast/cutecast.pl

1. SBPC driver loads slowly in kernels?

Howcome when booting the kernel the sbpcd driver loads so slowly it
used to load very fast a couple of kernel's ago but in the last few
I've tried it takes ages (well it seems like ages) to load..

Also howcome if I define my interface and ports in the sbpcd.h file it
still autoprobes the other places, what am I missing?

Thanks,
Warwick

|   System Manager Lost Link                                   |

2. Seeing CD audio tracks?

4. V: Solaris 2.1 FCS fuer Intel

5. IBM Thinkpad and Backpac Cd-rom redhat loading

6. proxy

7. IBM power series loading problem, 850 thinkpad

8. SSH cannot login , remote system say /bin/bash: no such file or directory

9. Problem loading SCO Unix on an IBM ThinkPad 755C

10. Ultastar 18ES on IBM 7015-R40

11. $RUN_DIR/load.sh 1> $LOG_DIR/load.log_$L_DATE 2>&1

12. IBM RS/6000 R40 (4 way SMP) Specs?

13. IBM Thinkpad 760DX > Xircom CE2-10 PCMCIA