Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet?

Post by M. Thomas Frederikse » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'm ready to buy a new box and am looking hard at the new Athlon.  I
haven't been able to find any word on whether Linux works on Athlon or
not.  Anybody tried it yet?  If so, what motherboard/chipset?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Frederiksen,

Post by Bernhard Mogens Eg » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I'm ready to buy a new box and am looking hard at the new Athlon.  I
> haven't been able to find any word on whether Linux works on Athlon or
> not.  Anybody tried it yet?  If so, what motherboard/chipset?

I am currently trying. I installed RedHat 6.0 without problems (at
least none related to the Athlon cpu or motherboard). I do have a
problem making it use my TNT2 card. The problem is that the pointer is
invisible (this is with the nVidia 3.3.3.1 driver and the official
3.3.5 driver).

So far the system has proven itself to be stable. The 2.2.12 kernel
does not recognise the IDE controller, but appears to have enabled DMA
so performance is okay.

I am currently running with a custom kernel configuration (a complete
recompilation takes only a few minutes).

The system is the Athlon 500 on the MSI-6167 motherboard, 128Mb RAM,
18Gb disc (2 for ext2, 0.5 for swap), 50x CDROM, 3COM network card.

If anyone knows how to make the cursor on the Xserver visible again, I
would like to receive some help/hints. It might be a Athlon bug, but I
hope not.

regards,

Bernhard Ege

Have a look at http://www.linux-magazin.de
--

Nils
--

Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet?

Post by JB » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I ran into the same thing when I set the refresh rate for my screen too low.
I had to boost the refresh rate past 75 to get my mouse to show up on the
screen.  Anything below that caused my mouse pointer to simply disappear.

B. Bye

writes:

> > I'm ready to buy a new box and am looking hard at the new Athlon.  I
> > haven't been able to find any word on whether Linux works on Athlon or
> > not.  Anybody tried it yet?  If so, what motherboard/chipset?

> I am currently trying. I installed RedHat 6.0 without problems (at
> least none related to the Athlon cpu or motherboard). I do have a
> problem making it use my TNT2 card. The problem is that the pointer is
> invisible (this is with the nVidia 3.3.3.1 driver and the official
> 3.3.5 driver).

> So far the system has proven itself to be stable. The 2.2.12 kernel
> does not recognise the IDE controller, but appears to have enabled DMA
> so performance is okay.

> I am currently running with a custom kernel configuration (a complete
> recompilation takes only a few minutes).

> The system is the Athlon 500 on the MSI-6167 motherboard, 128Mb RAM,
> 18Gb disc (2 for ext2, 0.5 for swap), 50x CDROM, 3COM network card.

> If anyone knows how to make the cursor on the Xserver visible again, I
> would like to receive some help/hints. It might be a Athlon bug, but I
> hope not.

> regards,

> Bernhard Ege

Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet?

Post by Nils Remmer » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

to be seen at http://www.linux-magazin.de

Nils
--
Frage  : K?nnen Sie wir mal 'nen IRQ zus?tzlich einl?ten ?
Antwort: Nein, tut mir leid. Das habe ich mir gerade abgew?hnt !

Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet?

Post by Bernhard Mogens Eg » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

This is strange indeed. My refresh rates are allways above 75Hz and
currently 85Hz in 1280x1024 (100Hz in 1024x768) s? the "above 75Hz"
rule is not enough in my case.

I guess an option in the XF86Config file:

Option "SWCursor"

This option caused the Xserver (standard v3.3.5 XF86_SVGA) to use a
software cursor. This only presents minor cosmetic problems in some
cases, but at least I can see it.

Bernhard

Post by Francois Labrequ » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> are there motherboards even out (for consumers) for the k7 yet?

I don't know if there are motherboards available to the general public
to put in there clones, but the big vendors (IBM, Dell, etc...) have
Athlon-based machines on the market.

--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
flabreq(a)ibm,net | terrestrial intelligence is that they never
                  | bothered to come down here and visit us!
                                     - Calvin

Post by Darwayne Willoc » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > are there motherboards even out (for consumers) for the k7 yet?

> I don't know if there are motherboards available to the general public
> to put in there clones, but the big vendors (IBM, Dell, etc...) have
> Athlon-based machines on the market.

> > : I'm ready to buy a new box and am looking hard at the new Athlon.  I
> > : haven't been able to find any word on whether Linux works on Athlon or
> > : not.  Anybody tried it yet?  If so, what motherboard/chipset?

> > : Thanks in advance,

> > : Bruce Frederiksen,

> > --
> > Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
> > ->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

> --
> Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
> flabreq(a)ibm,net | terrestrial intelligence is that they never
>                   | bothered to come down here and visit us!
>                                      - Calvin

Gigabyte and FIC have boards out on the market.  I'm testing a Gigabyte GA-71X at work.
I'll have the specs online as soon as I can scan them

Post by Arthur R Peal » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > are there motherboards even out (for consumers) for the k7 yet?

> I don't know if there are motherboards available to the general public
> to put in there clones, but the big vendors (IBM, Dell, etc...) have
> Athlon-based machines on the market.

Asus has a motherboard (finally!) out as well.  See their homepage for
more details.

Post by Richard Geissle » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Asus has a motherboard (finally!) out as well.  See their homepage for
> more details.

Could you please specify the URL? I could not find anything about Athlon
on their web page www.asus.com.

Post by Phil DeBecke » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > Asus has a motherboard (finally!) out as well.  See their homepage for
> > more details.

> Could you please specify the URL? I could not find anything about Athlon
> on their web page www.asus.com.

You're going to have a tough time doing that, since Asus is keeping their
Athlon board quiet so as not to anger Intel.

Check out Asus K7M reviews at http://www.veryComputer.com/,
http://www.veryComputer.com/ and http://www.veryComputer.com/.  It's a nice
board but can't run a TNT2 Ultra because the Ultra draws too much power for
the board to handle; on the other hand it's the only board you can
overclock an Athlon successfully with.  Asus has decided not to support
end-users, only system integrators, with this board, so you're sort of on
your own if things go wrong (you _can_ download BIOS and driver updates
from their FTP site however).

As far as Linux on an Athlon, I've built myself an Athlon 550 system
running on a FIC SD11 motherboard, 128mb, Voodoo3 3000, 18gb WD
7200RPM UDMA66 drive, 50X CD, and SB AWE64 Value.  Red Hat 6.1 installed on
it just fine (if you install a distro based on 2.2.x kernel, it needs to be
based on 2.2.12 or later as the MTRR support in earlier 2.2.x kernels would
crash the Athlon.  RH6.0 will have this problem, RH6.1 will not.
2.0.x-based distros have no such problem).

If you do build an Athlon system, be sure to get the right components -- in
particular, the power supply and memory you use are very important for the
system's stability.  AMD's site and the motherboard manufacturers' sites
list compatible hardware, and these aren't just nice suggestions, they're
crucial if your system is going to work properly.

I'm now running the 2.3.28 kernel, which allows me to use the UDMA features
of the board's chipset and which can be built with Athlon-specific
optimizations (it's in the "processor type and features" section of make
[x|menu]config.  The system is very fast and stable, compiles its kernel in
about 4 minutes, gets an average of 75fps in Unreal Tournament demo, etc,
etc.

In short, the Athlon is a great CPU to run Linux on, and it doesn't take
any special effort to make it run well.  Since the Athlon motherboards all
use "*" chipsets (either the VIA or the AMD one) you'll want to run a
2.3.X kernel to take full advantage of the chipset features, but this isn't
strictly mandatory.

Phil D.

1. Anybody tried Sony laptop w/Linux yet?

Just as the Subject line said :-)

Sony's come out with a pair of laptops that *look* good, the 705c and 707c.
Unfortunately, their web site doesn't identify the graphics chip set, so I
can't tell yet wether they'll run XFree86.  The floppy can be used outside
the laptop with an adaptor, so installing with CD+boot floppy should work.

Just wondering if anybody's bought one and tried to install Linux....

--
Matt Holiday                                #include <std/disclaimer>
matthewh at idt.net        "The only good spammer is a dead spammer."

2. Need help with Rockwell Riptide or Crystal CS4281 Chipset

3. Linux and Compaq LTE 5300 Laptop, has anybody tried it yet?

4. notion of a local address [was: Re: ioctl SIOCGIFNETMASK: ip alias bug 2.4.9 and 2.2.19]

5. Anybody tried a 760E Thinkpad yet?

6. Problems receiving faxes

7. TCNS 100MBit ARCnet anybody tried yet?

8. Redhat 5.0 Man Page Problems

9. Anybody try Asus P2BS or SuperMicro P6DBS yet???

10. Athlon: Try this (was: Re: Athlon bug stomping #2)

11. Anybody install Linux on a Toshiba Portege yet?

12. Linux Journal #2 Anybody get theirs yet?

13. Anyone tried K6 w/Linux yet?