Better configuration options of database linux server

Better configuration options of database linux server

Post by Juli » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 19:06:05

Hi.

I will setup one database Linux server (MySQL) and I'm deciding
between two posibly configurations for hard drives:

1) One IDE HD for the system and one or two SCSI HD for the database
data (really is a RAD).

2) One SCSI HD for the system and one or two SCSI HD for the database
data (really is a RAD).

I really get better performance using a SCSI HD for the system instead
an IDE HD?

Julian.

Post by Allen Cride » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 02:43:59

> Hi.

> I will setup one database Linux server (MySQL) and I'm deciding
> between two posibly configurations for hard drives:

> 1) One IDE HD for the system and one or two SCSI HD for the database
> data (really is a RAD).

> 2) One SCSI HD for the system and one or two SCSI HD for the database
> data (really is a RAD).

> I really get better performance using a SCSI HD for the system instead
> an IDE HD?

> Julian.

The question is superfluous because you don't know how many users will be doing
transactions how often.

Post by morde » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:28:41

> Hi.

> I will setup one database Linux server (MySQL) and I'm deciding
> between two posibly configurations for hard drives:

> 1) One IDE HD for the system and one or two SCSI HD for the database
> data (really is a RAD).

> 2) One SCSI HD for the system and one or two SCSI HD for the database
> data (really is a RAD).

> I really get better performance using a SCSI HD for the system instead
> an IDE HD?

You'd be an idiot to run an ide in a server box. Current crop of ide
drives is *reliability wise. I know because I have a mechanical
engineer working for a major drive maker living next door. He confirms
my suspicion. HDD makers are not concerned about reliability of ide
drives at all. Why bother? Some gullible customers will pay anyway.
YMMV.

-----
Which company are you working for? A major one...
:-)

Post by Sales for IDE-CF flash dri » Thu, 01 May 2003 04:38:23

> > Hi.

> > I will setup one database Linux server (MySQL) and I'm deciding
> > between two posibly configurations for hard drives:

> > 1) One IDE HD for the system and one or two SCSI HD for the database
> > data (really is a RAD).

> > 2) One SCSI HD for the system and one or two SCSI HD for the database
> > data (really is a RAD).

> > I really get better performance using a SCSI HD for the system instead
> > an IDE HD?

> You'd be an idiot to run an ide in a server box. Current crop of ide
> drives is *reliability wise. I know because I have a mechanical
> engineer working for a major drive maker living next door. He confirms
> my suspicion. HDD makers are not concerned about reliability of ide
> drives at all. Why bother? Some gullible customers will pay anyway.
> YMMV.

I totally agree, newer drives fail much sooner than older drives.  I have
3G to 6G IDE drives still running on servers after 30G to 60G drives died.

Quote:

> -----
> Which company are you working for? A major one...
> :-)

1. DHCP server option 123 configuration needed

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out how to enable DHCP server installed in my
Debian PC to dish out Coordinate-based Location Configuration
Information [RFC 3825] i.e DHCP option 123.

I understand that I all I need to do is add couple of lines to
dhcpd.conf file.

I'm using ISC dhcp server version 3.0.4.

Any help really appreciated.

Asif

2. Moving linux to a bigger disk

3. How can I synchronize the database between two MySQL database server

4. Connecting 2 computers behind DSL

5. Is AMD better or Intel better for Linux?

6. Linux MGR HOWTO

7. Linux DataBases - Client/Server development on Linux

8. What's the best way to list [just] directories?

9. Fireport 20 == which option in the Linux 2.2.6 kernel configuration?

10. What is the better way to valid a database name (letters,numbers,under-score allowed)?

11. hylaFAX or better option from open source?