Dual P3 locking up

Post by Ian Nelso » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm sure this has probably been covered before but...

I upgraded my Tyan Tiger 100 to dual P3-450s.  I'm running 2.2.10.
Matrox G200 framebuffer mode is also on.  Redhat 6.0.  Corsair PC-100
memory.  Western digital drives.  2940u2w and a 3com fast ethernet card.

Both CPUs have a heatsink with 2 fans, only I could only find 3 fan
connectors so the second fan on the second CPU isn't connected to
anything yet.  I'm really hoping that is my problem.

I fire up Linux and it usually happens when I'm running netscape over a
PPP connection but I've seen it happen once when I wasn't connected or
running netscape but the system freezes and the little box in the upper
right corner appears, almost exactly the same size as the framebuffer
logo. Reset is the only way to fix it. I have not changed my X server
since I started using FB, since it seemed to work I didn't think it
mattered.  The freeze also happens without framebuffer.

The BIOS says the temp of the processors is around 41 degrees C,  I've
seen it go up to 43 once.  Intel says it should be good up to about
50-55 degrees.

This is the kicker, I can leave the system on for hours without it
happening, if I'm coding offline, I've only seen it happen once and that
was immediately after I disconnected from the internet.  Sometimes when
I'm logged on it works for hours, others it works for 20 minutes and
freezes. (Murphy times it strategically so that I get about 25 minutes
into the 30 minute download..;)  my modem is external, I know they get
hot but that's not it.

My guess and hope would be that it's a simple hardware issue and as soon
as I get a splitter cable and plug the 4 fan in it will stop but because
of the odd square in the corner of the window and the way it seems to be
linked to network access I think it could possibly be a kernel issue.
Any ideas or has anyone seen this before?

thanks,
Ian Nelson

Dual P3 locking up

Post by Jonathan Toomi » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

99% chance it's the CPU fan on the second CPU not being on.  The BIOS temp
only reads the temperature of one of the processors, so it's likely that
your CPU with the fan is running at 41C and your second one is at around
70C (partially educated guess).  The best way to test if that's the problem
is to get a splitter cable and plug in the fan :)  I happen to have one
lying around if you want me to snail-mail it to you.

Jonathan Toomim

PS: email me your response.  I'm not likely to check this group often.