Q: downloading images via usb

Post by Todd Slate » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:03:40

I'm running Mandrake 8.1. I have a fuji camera that I can connect to the
computer via usb. I managed to mount this device (dev/sdb1), but it seems
that it will not mount unless it is connected when I log in as a regular
user. When I am root, I can mount it in a terminal.

Is this normal, or should the device be recognized whenever I connect it? I
can get it to work, it would just be a lot handier if I didn't have to
change to root or have the camera connected before I log in.

TIA

Todd

Post by Dave Kell » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:46:21

> I'm running Mandrake 8.1. I have a fuji camera that I can connect to the
> computer via usb. I managed to mount this device (dev/sdb1), but it seems
> that it will not mount unless it is connected when I log in as a regular
> user. When I am root, I can mount it in a terminal.

> Is this normal, or should the device be recognized whenever I connect it? I
> can get it to work, it would just be a lot handier if I didn't have to
> change to root or have the camera connected before I log in.

> TIA

> Todd

Read the manual on 'su'. Look closely at the '-c' option. It lets you
execute
exactly one command as root and returns you to your current directory.

Some of those type of things are reserved for security reasons to use by
the superuser.
Dave

Q: downloading images via usb

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:55:25

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:03:40 GMT, Todd Slater staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> I'm running Mandrake 8.1. I have a fuji camera that I can connect to
> the computer via usb. I managed to mount this device (dev/sdb1), but
> it seems that it will not mount unless it is connected when I log in
> as a regular user. When I am root, I can mount it in a terminal.

> Is this normal, or should the device be recognized whenever I connect
> it?

The device should be *recognized* whenever you connect it, since it's a
standard USB-storage device.  However, just because it's been recognized
by the USB subsystem doesn't mean that the device will be mounted
automagically.  You need an automounter daemon or something for that.  I
don't recommend that approach, but maybe the automounters have improved
in the last year.

Quote:> I can get it to work, it would just be a lot handier if I didn't
> have to change to root or have the camera connected before I log in.

Edit your /etc/fstab to include a line similar to the following.  I
don't know if Mandrake is still using the nonstandard fstab format they
were using a while back, but anyway:

/dev/sdb1   /mnt/camera   vfat   noauto,user,umask=000   0   0

The "user" makes it so that any normal user can mount or umount the
device.  The umask=000 makes everything on the device wide open.  Since
FAT filesystems have no concept of permissions anyway, attempting to
force security onto them tends to just get in the way.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. Downloading images via Lynx

Folks:

I am wondering how Lynx can be used to download images under the
following conditions:

--Lynx is run through telnet, and my machine is a PC or Macintosh not
running Linux.

--My machine is connected by a dedicated line (T1) *not* a modem.

Now, with a modem, you would select an image as a link, choose
D)ownload and then a modem protocol (e.g. Kermit).  But on a T1, there
is no modem protocol...  And saving to disk on the host machine
offering Lynx through Telnet is not an option... (from which could then
ftp the image down to your machine).  Somehow a direct connection
between Lynx, via the host machine to mine must be made.  Is this
possible?

Thanks!

best,
db

2. ATAPI IDE cd drive controller? Linux driver? Application? But still problem.

3. Brother MFC via USB or via a Windows computer

4. FAT32 & VFAT

5. Booting VIA Eden via USB Key

6. Are Compaq-brand QIC-02 controllers supported?

7. USB 2.0 via VIA?

8. PPTP with poptop - unclear error messages

9. .iso images for download

10. Creating cds from downloaded iso-images fails

11. Where I can download GOOD (not broken) install image of Solaris 8 (x86)?