Crystal 4236B/DELL OptiPlex Gx1 sound card

Crystal 4236B/DELL OptiPlex Gx1 sound card

Post by Dan Su » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00



I newly insatelled Redhat6.0, but the sound card doesn't work

my PC is Dell PII/350  OptiPlex Gx1 with built-in sound card Crystal
4236B. it works fine in Windows.

I used the sound card's DOS utility to detect its configuration:
io=0x220, irq=5, dma=1

the card is in Hedwig's compatiable HW list. and it should use cs4232.o

I set the conf.modules file like this:
alias sound cs4232.o
options sound io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

when it boot, I got error message on screen, it says the ad1848 file is
not found.
and I got error in log:
Mar 14 12:31:03 linux insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/sound.o:
invalid parameter io

Anyone can help me with this?

 
 
 

Crystal 4236B/DELL OptiPlex Gx1 sound card

Post by Joseph Dal » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00



> I newly insatelled Redhat6.0, but the sound card doesn't work

I've got RH 6.1

Quote:> my PC is Dell PII/350  OptiPlex Gx1 with built-in sound card Crystal
> 4236B. it works fine in Windows.

I've got a Dell PII/350 Optiplex Gx1 with built-in sound card Crystal
4236B

Quote:

> I used the sound card's DOS utility to detect its configuration:
> io=0x220, irq=5, dma=1

> the card is in Hedwig's compatiable HW list. and it should use cs4232.o

> I set the conf.modules file like this:
> alias sound cs4232.o
> options sound io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

> when it boot, I got error message on screen, it says the ad1848 file is
> not found.
> and I got error in log:
> Mar 14 12:31:03 linux insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/sound.o:
> invalid parameter io

> Anyone can help me with this?

Log in as root and type 'sndconfig'. It will play a couple of samples
and ask you if you heard them. Say yes, and it will rewrite conf.modules
for you. I did this and everything worked beautifully.

 
 
 

Crystal 4236B/DELL OptiPlex Gx1 sound card

Post by Dan Su » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00




> > I newly insatelled Redhat6.0, but the sound card doesn't work

> I've got RH 6.1

> > my PC is Dell PII/350  OptiPlex Gx1 with built-in sound card Crystal
> > 4236B. it works fine in Windows.

> I've got a Dell PII/350 Optiplex Gx1 with built-in sound card Crystal
> 4236B

> > I used the sound card's DOS utility to detect its configuration:
> > io=0x220, irq=5, dma=1

> > the card is in Hedwig's compatiable HW list. and it should use cs4232.o

> > I set the conf.modules file like this:
> > alias sound cs4232.o
> > options sound io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

> > when it boot, I got error message on screen, it says the ad1848 file is
> > not found.
> > and I got error in log:
> > Mar 14 12:31:03 linux insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/sound.o:
> > invalid parameter io

> > Anyone can help me with this?

> Log in as root and type 'sndconfig'. It will play a couple of samples
> and ask you if you heard them. Say yes, and it will rewrite conf.modules
> for you. I did this and everything worked beautifully.

Thank U very much, you help me quite a lot.

I run the sndconfig and now the sound card works, but the volume is toooooo
low, where can I adjust its volume like the Windows did? (I knew you hate
Windows very much)

BTW, will the hard disk size affect Linux performance? I assigned 1G for
Linux native and 78 M for swap, (I have 64M RAM)

if the hard disk size will affect the linux performance like Win95 did to
the OS, can I resize the partion to larger one? (change on the fly, I try to
use partition magic 3.05, but it seems can not resize Linux ext2 partition)

 
 
 

Crystal 4236B/DELL OptiPlex Gx1 sound card

Post by Joseph Dal » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00





> > > I newly insatelled Redhat6.0, but the sound card doesn't work

> > I've got RH 6.1

> > > my PC is Dell PII/350  OptiPlex Gx1 with built-in sound card Crystal
> > > 4236B. it works fine in Windows.

> > I've got a Dell PII/350 Optiplex Gx1 with built-in sound card Crystal
> > 4236B

> > > I used the sound card's DOS utility to detect its configuration:
> > > io=0x220, irq=5, dma=1

> > > the card is in Hedwig's compatiable HW list. and it should use cs4232.o

> > > I set the conf.modules file like this:
> > > alias sound cs4232.o
> > > options sound io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

> > > when it boot, I got error message on screen, it says the ad1848 file is
> > > not found.
> > > and I got error in log:
> > > Mar 14 12:31:03 linux insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/sound.o:
> > > invalid parameter io

> > > Anyone can help me with this?

> > Log in as root and type 'sndconfig'. It will play a couple of samples
> > and ask you if you heard them. Say yes, and it will rewrite conf.modules
> > for you. I did this and everything worked beautifully.

> Thank U very much, you help me quite a lot.

You're very welcome.

Quote:> I run the sndconfig and now the sound card works, but the volume is toooooo
> low, where can I adjust its volume like the Windows did? (I knew you hate
> Windows very much)

If you installed most of the graphical goodies, there should be a mixer
hiding somewhere in your menu (down in the lower left hand corner, just
like Win95 ;)
If not, try aumix, which will run in a terminal if you installed some
kind of curses.

Quote:> BTW, will the hard disk size affect Linux performance? I assigned 1G for
> Linux native and 78 M for swap, (I have 64M RAM)

> if the hard disk size will affect the linux performance like Win95 did to
> the OS, can I resize the partion to larger one? (change on the fly, I try to
> use partition magic 3.05, but it seems can not resize Linux ext2 partition)

I don't think having too small of a root partition will hurt you, except
making you unhappy when you start running out of room on it. It's
probably pretty dangerous to resize a Linux partition with Partition
Magic,  if it will even let you. The reason that hard disk size affects
Win95 is basically that Windows doesn't keep its swap file separate from
all the other data, and it can make the swap file as large as it wants,
so swapping can get in the way of other stuff. On Linux this isn't true.
Swapping shouldn't -- especially on a system like yours -- interfere too
much with overall operation. If it does, the best solution is probably
not to give more swap space, but to get more RAM. My system is just like
yours, except I've got a 10Gig hard drive, 128MB of RAM, and the space I
allocated for swap looks like it's sitting totally unused most of the
time.

Joe

 
 
 

Crystal 4236B/DELL OptiPlex Gx1 sound card

Post by perlgu.. » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00


I have the same setup and am STILL having
problems.

I have used the sndconfig program, and actually
had sound working twice!  I saved my isapnp.conf
and conf.modules files once I had the sound
working, but as soon as I reboot - the sound no
longer works!

HELP!  Even if I copy the working config files
(listed above) and reboot, the sound doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Brent

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Crystal 4236B/DELL OptiPlex Gx1 sound card

Post by perlgu.. » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00


I tried everything in the earlier threads of this message and I *can*
get sound working if I mess around in sndconfig long enough.  I've saved
my /etc/conf.modules and my /etc/isapnp.conf files AFTER I got the sound
working.

But, as soon as I reboot the computer, I lose the sound!

I am running RH 6.1 with the 2.2.12 kernel on a Dell Optiplex GX1

Help!  I need music!

Thanks,
brent

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Crystal 4236B/DELL OptiPlex Gx1 sound card

Post by Edward Le » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00


You can try the driver at http://linnix.com.  I have an add-on ISA card
with CSC4236, but it should work the same.

> I have the same setup and am STILL having
> problems.

> I have used the sndconfig program, and actually
> had sound working twice!  I saved my isapnp.conf
> and conf.modules files once I had the sound
> working, but as soon as I reboot - the sound no
> longer works!

> HELP!  Even if I copy the working config files
> (listed above) and reboot, the sound doesn't work.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks
> Brent

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 
 
 

Crystal 4236B/DELL OptiPlex Gx1 sound card

Post by graham_len.. » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00




> I tried everything in the earlier threads of this message and I *can*
> get sound working if I mess around in sndconfig long enough.  I've
saved
> my /etc/conf.modules and my /etc/isapnp.conf files AFTER I got the
sound
> working.

> But, as soon as I reboot the computer, I lose the sound!

> I am running RH 6.1 with the 2.2.12 kernel on a Dell Optiplex GX1

> Help!  I need music!

firstly I would suggest comparing /etc/conf.modules and
/etc/isapnp.conf with your saved versions to find what if anything has
changed (not sure why anything would have though..)

I have the same setup. If I recall correctly, I had initially had
similar trouble when I built the system a few months back, but it
worked ok after I did this:

Boot to X login
Ctrl-Alt-F1 and log in as root
sndconfig
init 6 (or whatever your reboot level is)
Boot to X login
login as 'user'
add aumix applet to panel (how you do this depends on your desktop
manager, I guess)

I don't recall having to alias anything

are you running sndconfig in X environment ? (again, i'm not sure why
this would affect anything, but may be a factor)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

1. Dell Optiplex GX1 Crystal CS4236b Sound Card Problems

Thanks to the group for the help with my video card.  The Dell Optiplex
GX1 needs XFree Server 3.3.2 to work with the ATI AGP card.  The X
server you need comes in RH 5.1.

I still have a problem with the integrated sound card which is a Crystal
CS4236B chip integrated into the motherboard.  I know the chip is Sound
Blaster pro and Windows Sound Sytem compatible.  The sound blaster
settings don't work with sndconfig and a isapnp dump doesn't find the
card when it scans the ports.   If have even tried to use the OSS driver
from 4-front technologies without success.   The OSS install program
couldn't detect it either.

Has anyone played with this before or do I need to go out and buy a
Sound Blaster?

Dale

2. can't record line-in with VIA VT82C686A

3. CS4236 sound card in Dell OptiPlex GX1

4. problem with chgrp

5. Dell Optiplex GX1 Sound under RH6 ?

6. RMB-Menu (root-Menu)

7. Sound on Dell OptiPlex GX1 (CS4236)

8. need to access ethernet frames in kernel mode

9. Looking for sound driver for Dell OptiPlex GX1

10. Dell Optiplex GX1 ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP integrated video card

11. Ethernet media rate negotiation on Dell OptiPlex GX1

12. Dell Optiplex GX, GX1, GN: anyone running linux/FreeBSD on them?

13. Compiling error for 3com Ethernet driver 3c90x on Dell Optiplex GX1