Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller

Post by Peter Treloa » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know what SCSI controller is on the motherboard of a Compaq
Prosignia 486/66, and is it supported by Linux.

Windows NT reports it as a Compaq SCSI-2 controller.

Thanks,

Peter.

Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller

Post by J » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have the same box and the chip it a ncr 537c10.  I've tried lots of
options but nothing yet.  If you find out, let me know.  TIA

>Does anyone know what SCSI controller is on the motherboard of a Compaq
>Prosignia 486/66, and is it supported by Linux.

>Windows NT reports it as a Compaq SCSI-2 controller.

>Thanks,

>Peter.

Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller

Post by Raymond Keith Windlo » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

If you have a look inside it uses an NCR xxxx (sorry cant recall exact
chipset number. But dont cheer just yet. We couldnt get Linux to
recognise it even when we used the drivers for the NCR either.
(We were trying to install to a machine exactly the same as yours)
Gave up in disgust !!!

Ray Windlow

> Does anyone know what SCSI controller is on the motherboard of a Compaq
> Prosignia 486/66, and is it supported by Linux.

> Windows NT reports it as a Compaq SCSI-2 controller.

> Thanks,

> Peter.

Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller

Post by Tom Mui » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am just about to try and setup RedHat linux 5.2 on a similar machine and
have run into problems with the scsi controller and the netflex controller
network card. I know from acd that came with the machine, that sco unix 4.3
has drivers, but as I'm a novice at unix and am only starting out I don't
know if this is any use or if it is how to use it!! I would also appreciate
some help here.

Thanks

Tom Muir

>I have the same box and the chip it a ncr 537c10.  I've tried lots of
>options but nothing yet.  If you find out, let me know.  TIA

Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller

Post by Charles Prat » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have one of these Prosignia boxes two it has the NCR 53c710  I am trying
to install Redhat but no go so far the only thing I have not tried is a scsi
CD rom?

>I am just about to try and setup RedHat linux 5.2 on a similar machine and
>have run into problems with the scsi controller and the netflex controller

>>I have the same box and the chip it a ncr 537c10.  I've tried lots of
>>options but nothing yet.  If you find out, let me know.  TIA

Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller

Post by Charles Prat » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

This afternoon someone replied to me on how to install this on the Prosgnia
486. I will give it a try this  week sometime.  What he said was to change
the CD to Boot now I downloaded the compaq configuration floppies to do this
but I did not want to make this puppy non-funtional. so I installed XX on
it,  slow, but  it works, so now. I have a bootable OS.  Now I will change
the hardware configs. to boot CD to see if it clicks.

The person who recomend this was someone from Neosoftsys.  Thanks it is the
only thing I have not tried.

Charles Pratt

Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller

Post by Jim Henderso » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I had the same problem on a Prosignia VS - the problem is that the NCR
chipset supported by the Linux driver is the PCI version of the driver -
the Prosignia 4/66 and VS have the EISA version of this chipset, which
the driver doesn't support.

AFAIK, until someone writes a driver for the EISA chipset, you won't get
it to work...

Jim
--
Jim Henderson
Novell Support Connection SysOp - http://support.novell.com/forums

Homepage at http://www.bigfoot.com/~jhenderson (email instructions
located here)

Please note that as an NSC SysOp, I do not provide support for Novell
products on a personal basis - if you need help with a Novell product,
please post a reply in the public newsgroup or visit the Novell support
forums at the URL above.

1. HELP! Compaq Prosignia SCSI controller ?

Anyone know where I can get a Slackware bootdisk to work with the Compaq
Prosignia (old DX/2 model) embedded SCSI controller ?

Any information gratefully received (please copy to email)

--
--------------------------
Jon Dunster

http://www.chichester.ac.uk/~jond
--------------------------

2. NFS locking

3. Compaq Prosignia/Proliant SCSI Controller & linux

4. Lilo boot sector after Windows 98 installation

5. Linux / Compaq ProSignia VS / NCR 53c710 embedded SCSI controller

6. WD 7193-SCSI controller and Linux

7. Compaq Prosignia Smart-SCSI controller

8. Development questions

9. help: linux can't find my scsi controller (compaq prosignia)

10. Problem: Compaq Prosignia with SCSI-2 Controller

11. SCSI driver for Internal SCSI device Compaq Prosignia

12. Compaq Prosignia 500 and Smart2/P Array Controller...