*best* ethernet card to buy

Post by Dust » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 04:02:03

Hmmm...I posted this about 2 hours ago and it still hasn't shown up...

I run RH 7.0 right now and just bought a linksys package that
contained two Ethernet cards and a hub. On bootup it goes insmod: eth0
initialization, eth0 failed, delyaing eh0 initialaztion:tulip or
something to that effect. I tried getting the newest tulip driver, but
my compile keeps screwing up(something to do with RH7.0 coming
packaged with a bad version of gcc??). Anyway, I've tried everything
they say to do and still won't work. Im going to RH 7.2 and am
returning the cards and hub. What is the EASIEST and MOST RELIABLE
ethernet/hub manufacturer out there? What is the most stable
distro/kernel for this type of work? I'm dying here.

Thank you
Dusten

*best* ethernet card to buy

Post by Eric P. McC » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 04:55:00

> Hmmm...I posted this about 2 hours ago and it still hasn't shown up...

Yes, it has.  I even replied to it, as did at least two other people.

You may have a crummy newsfeed, in which case you should monitor the
thread on Google (groups.google.com).

--

"I woke up this morning and realized what the game needed: pirates,
pimps, and gay furries."  - Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka

*best* ethernet card to buy

Post by Bit Twist » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 05:24:42

Gotta love the broadband speed attbi.com is providing. Ha, Ha.
AND their slow news servers. 47 seconds to start loading the next group,
headers only.

Anyway, I have see several post about linksys and Redhat users failing.
I run Mandrake without problems. Have had 6 Linksys nics, 4 in use
other two left with the boxes when I upgraded.

I had to set my bios pnp OS to NO and AUTO assign irq to pci slots
Did not supply io/irq values. No compiles required.

http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart   top left, mandrake 8.1 3 cds
~$6 plus shipping.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

*best* ethernet card to buy

Post by Chris Pletche » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 16:25:34

I'm going to tell you from my own personal experience that Linksys is crap!
I bought a NIC of theirs which proceeded to completely fail after 3 weeks of
good service. (Also, I tried to use it in Red Hat 7.2 before it failed and
the driver would not load either. I had the same errors you apparently had.)
Then, a switch of theirs that I bought also failed after 4 months. You be
the judge. I know what I got.

Quote:> Hmmm...I posted this about 2 hours ago and it still hasn't shown up...

> I run RH 7.0 right now and just bought a linksys package that
> contained two Ethernet cards and a hub. On bootup it goes insmod: eth0
> initialization, eth0 failed, delyaing eh0 initialaztion:tulip or
> something to that effect. I tried getting the newest tulip driver, but
> my compile keeps screwing up(something to do with RH7.0 coming
> packaged with a bad version of gcc??). Anyway, I've tried everything
> they say to do and still won't work. Im going to RH 7.2 and am
> returning the cards and hub. What is the EASIEST and MOST RELIABLE
> ethernet/hub manufacturer out there? What is the most stable
> distro/kernel for this type of work? I'm dying here.

> Thank you
> Dusten

*best* ethernet card to buy

Post by Clive Dov » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 01:08:44

I have not had your experience with my Linksys cards.

My Linksys cards were found by linux and assigned tulip drivers with no
problem.  My LNE100TX-CA (ver 2.0) run under Linux, OS/2 and Windows95. I
had to download a set of NDIS2 files for OS/2 but Linux and Win95 ran the
cards right out of the box.

OTOH, am just starting to work on a Compaq Presario and was given a Dlink
530TXC.  WindowsME could not find it either in its own database or on the
floppy that came with the card.
So, I took it back and got a LinkSys LNE100TX-CA (ver 4.1) and WinMe ran it
right out of the box.  I haven't yet installed linux on that box so I can't
say whether the version 4.1 will run, but others are using it.

Best reports that I am hearing are on 3Com cards. they are industry
standard and the drivers seem to work. They are somewhat more expensive.

> I'm going to tell you from my own personal experience that Linksys is
> crap! I bought a NIC of theirs which proceeded to completely fail after 3
> weeks of good service. (Also, I tried to use it in Red Hat 7.2 before it
> failed and the driver would not load either. I had the same errors you
> apparently had.) Then, a switch of theirs that I bought also failed after
> 4 months. You be the judge. I know what I got.

>> Hmmm...I posted this about 2 hours ago and it still hasn't shown up...

>> I run RH 7.0 right now and just bought a linksys package that
>> contained two Ethernet cards and a hub. On bootup it goes insmod: eth0
>> initialization, eth0 failed, delyaing eh0 initialaztion:tulip or
>> something to that effect. I tried getting the newest tulip driver, but
>> my compile keeps screwing up(something to do with RH7.0 coming
>> packaged with a bad version of gcc??). Anyway, I've tried everything
>> they say to do and still won't work. Im going to RH 7.2 and am
>> returning the cards and hub. What is the EASIEST and MOST RELIABLE
>> ethernet/hub manufacturer out there? What is the most stable
>> distro/kernel for this type of work? I'm dying here.

>> Thank you
>> Dusten

*best* ethernet card to buy

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 12:40:48

I've had no problem with either D-Link or 3Com. D-Links are cheaper than
3Coms.

> I have not had your experience with my Linksys cards.

> My Linksys cards were found by linux and assigned tulip drivers with no
> problem.  My LNE100TX-CA (ver 2.0) run under Linux, OS/2 and Windows95.
> I had to download a set of NDIS2 files for OS/2 but Linux and Win95 ran
> the cards right out of the box.

> OTOH, am just starting to work on a Compaq Presario and was given a
> Dlink 530TXC.  WindowsME could not find it either in its own database or
> on the floppy that came with the card. So, I took it back and got a
> LinkSys LNE100TX-CA (ver 4.1) and WinMe ran it right out of the box.  I
> haven't yet installed linux on that box so I can't say whether the
> version 4.1 will run, but others are using it.

> Best reports that I am hearing are on 3Com cards. they are industry
> standard and the drivers seem to work. They are somewhat more expensive.

>> I'm going to tell you from my own personal experience that Linksys is
>> crap! I bought a NIC of theirs which proceeded to completely fail after
>> 3 weeks of good service. (Also, I tried to use it in Red Hat 7.2 before
>> it failed and the driver would not load either. I had the same errors
>> you apparently had.) Then, a switch of theirs that I bought also failed
>> after 4 months. You be the judge. I know what I got.

>>> Hmmm...I posted this about 2 hours ago and it still hasn't shown up...

>>> I run RH 7.0 right now and just bought a linksys package that
>>> contained two Ethernet cards and a hub. On bootup it goes insmod: eth0
>>> initialization, eth0 failed, delyaing eh0 initialaztion:tulip or
>>> something to that effect. I tried getting the newest tulip driver, but
>>> my compile keeps screwing up(something to do with RH7.0 coming
>>> packaged with a bad version of gcc??). Anyway, I've tried everything
>>> they say to do and still won't work. Im going to RH 7.2 and am
>>> returning the cards and hub. What is the EASIEST and MOST RELIABLE
>>> ethernet/hub manufacturer out there? What is the most stable
>>> distro/kernel for this type of work? I'm dying here.

>>> Thank you
>>> Dusten

1. Best Ethernet card to buy for Linux

I am looking in to purchasing an Ethernet card for my Linux box for future
connectivity.  What would be the best kind, most compatible, fastest, most
featured and supported that one would recommend?

Many thanks in advance.

|:| Robert Sink              | "I don't want  to start  any blasphemous |:|

|:|--------------------------|  sense of humor and when I die  I expect |:|
|:| (c) 1994 Gurkware, Inc.  |  to find him laughing."  -- Depeche Mode |:|
         *PGP 2.6 Public Key Available By Fingering This Account*

2. User Configurator App. Found It.

3. Best 10Mbps and best 100Mhz ethernet card for linux

4. IP Masquerade problem: HTTP problems.

5. What is the best card to buy?

7. Whats the Best STB Card to Buy ?

8. printing problem to NT

9. Best Video Card - Best Sound Card - HELP!!

10. Buying an Ethernet Card

11. Which ethernet card to buy..

12. Don't buy this Ethernet card