Linux 1.2.1 on IBM 701C ThinkPad

Post by Marcus Lee » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I just received my shiny-new IBM ThinkPad 701C, and I'm trying to get
  Linux going on it.  I've checked the Linux-on-ThinkPad WWW pages,
  but nothing there covers the 701C.  I'm having two problems:

1) It won't boot from the hard drive (I have the 540 Megabyte--
   1050 Cylinders).  LILO comes up and prints "LI", but gets no
   further than that. Booting from floppy, using mount root=/dev/hda1
   works, but it's a pain...

2) I can't get X to come up with a generic SVGA driver.  It also can't
   see the trackpoint/mouse, even though I've configured PS/2 mouse
   support into the kernel.

Any clues?
--
Marcus Leech        |Any opinions expressed are mine.         |+1 613 763 9145
VE3MDL              | and not those of my employer            |+1 613 567 5484

Linux 1.2.1 on IBM 701C ThinkPad

Post by Greg Kilc » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I just received my shiny-new IBM ThinkPad 701C, and I'm trying to get
>   Linux going on it.  I've checked the Linux-on-ThinkPad WWW pages,
>   but nothing there covers the 701C.  I'm having two problems:

> 1) It won't boot from the hard drive (I have the 540 Megabyte--
>    1050 Cylinders).  LILO comes up and prints "LI", but gets no
>    further than that. Booting from floppy, using mount root=/dev/hda1
>    works, but it's a pain...

> 2) I can't get X to come up with a generic SVGA driver.  It also can't
>    see the trackpoint/mouse, even though I've configured PS/2 mouse
>    support into the kernel.

I have Linux (1.2.10) running on my 701C.

I also did not get LILO to work, but rather than fuss with it,
I just come up under DOS, and then use loadlin.  Or did you
get rid of DOS altogether?  (For my part I deleted the
hibernation file at the end of the DOS partition, and then
used FIPS to split the disk in two.  It worked fine.)

Concerning X, the chipset is the same as the NEC Versa, so
I used the configuration given in

    http://www.santafe.edu:80/~nelson/versa-linux/

You also need to turn off the utility which lets one use
the mouse to cut and paste on the console.  I forget the
name of it, but X won't come up with it running.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but the unit it is off at
IBM at the moment.  (IBM forgot to install the modem; there
is a minor bureaucratic horror story here, beginning with
having to start every phone call to IBM by convincing the
person on the other end that it is not "impossible" that
the unit came without a modem, and ending with the realization
that even with a modem in hand, and with an authorized repair
shop willing and able to the installation, IBM has structured
the bureaucracy so that it is impossible to do anything other
than mail the unit back.)

Overall it is a great little Unix box, and if anything seems
slightly quicker than the Sparc-2 on my desk.

Department of Physics         vox: (614) 292-3224
The Ohio State University     fax: (614) 292-7557
http://www-physics.mps.ohio-state.edu/~kilcup/

1. Installing Linux Redhat onto an IBM 701C thinkpad using a parallel port CD-ROM

Yeah, well the subject line pretty much covers it. I have a Shuttle Technology
EPSA-2 Parallel port  to SCSI CD-Rom drive interface and I have downloaded the
drivers for it epsa.c (.h too) and now what do I do?

Need I install the disc using DOS first, then compile the kernal (how?) to
enable me to continue using the cd-rom or is there an easier method?

Has anyone else set up a Thinkpad 701C for Linux?

Thanks!

The last experience I had with Unix was working a bit with Coherent, but that
was five or more years ago...before cd-roms, and I never compiled a new kernal.

John :-#)#

2. How to get the actual DNS addresses?

3. IBM Thinkpad 701C Install

4. Starter info for IP-masq?

5. installation on an IBM thinkpad 701c

6. psaux mouse device broken in 2.2.0pre6?

7. XF86Config for IBM Thinkpad 701C

8. IBM 75gig HD: can't get full capacity

9. Linux on Thinkpad{701C,365CD}

10. Linux on Thinkpad 701C?

11. Thinkpad 701c & Linux?

12. Linux and Thinkpad 701C

13. Thinkpad 701C Dual Boot NT4 and Linux Problems