NEC 4x4 CD-ROM Changer

Post by John Ioannid » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone have any experience with the NEC 4x4 CD-ROM Changer (I forget
the exact model number, but I think there is only one). Is it supported
under Linux? If not, does anyone have any idea how trivial or non-trivial
it is to patch the IDE driver to support it?

Thanks,

/ji

NEC 4x4 CD-ROM Changer

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone have any experience with the NEC 4x4 CD-ROM Changer (I forget
> the exact model number, but I think there is only one). Is it supported
> under Linux?

I have one of those. It works, but you need to install a recent kernel
and do the following: in the directory
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/cdrom is a textfile 'ide-cd'. The last part
of that file is a piece of C source (for the program 'cdload'). After
compilation you can change slots like this:

unmount cdrom
cdload <cdrom device> <slot number>
remount cdrom

And hey presto, another cdrom mounted. Not as convenient as having, say,
/dev/hdb<0-3>, but that'll come in time, no doubt :-).

                        Marco.

NEC 4x4 CD-ROM Changer

Post by Mike Fris » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone have any experience with the NEC 4x4 CD-ROM Changer (I forget
>the exact model number, but I think there is only one). Is it supported
>under Linux? If not, does anyone have any idea how trivial or non-trivial
>it is to patch the IDE driver to support it?

        I am curious to know if this CD-ROM drive could be configured in
Linux to operate as 4 distinct devices whereby a mount on the
appropriate "partition" of the CD-ROM device would switch CDs
automatically.  Under Windows, the user is req'd to use a small utility
to select the appropriate CD which is a pain.

Mike.

Mike Frisch                                        (416) 496-2200 Ext. 2272
Software Engineer
Hummingbird Communications Ltd.                 North York, Ontario, Canada

            Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not my employer

1. (NEC) 4x4 CD-ROM changer

Hi!

This may be a FAQ but anyway:

Is it possible to mount every CD on changer simultaneously or does these
IDE changers work at all with Linux?

Anssi

2. fast math libraries

3. NEC 4x4 CD-ROM changer...

4. Which Linux to use?

5. NEC 4x4 ATAPI CD-Rom Changer

6. Make error: kernel 2.1.91

7. CD-changers with Linux: Nec 4x4?

8. blrl and blr?

9. Nec 4x4 cd changer

10. Nec Multispin 4x4 CD-ROM

11. NEC 4x4 CD-ROM

12. Help with NEC 4x4 EIDE/ATAPI CD-ROM setup

13. NEC 4x4 CD-ROM