Mandrake 7.2 and a second ethernet card

Post by Ken » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:48:01

I've been trying to set up my second ethernet card, but have been unable to
get things working.

What I have

Abit BP6 Motherboard with 2x366 Celerons
128M Ram
Voodoo 3 Video card
SB Live Value
Realtek RTL 8139 (eth0)
3Com Etherlink III ISA 3C509 (eth1)
USR 33.6 PnP modem

The 3Com ethernet card is the one giving me the trouble. When I first
installed Linux, everything was identified in HardDrake, but I couldn't set
up anything on either of my PnP devices (modem and 3Com ethernet card).
After reading a few bits and pieces of info, I decided to change the
ethernet card to legecy mode and set the i/o and interrupt manually. That
went fine, but now it didn't appear in HardDrake, so I went in and tried
setting this device up in the module.conf file. That got me one step closer,
I could see that it was trying to start the device on boot. However, during
startup, it failed and said something like 'delaying start of eth1' (not
sure that's it exactly).

I'm fairly new to linux and I'm not sure how to check a few things
out...like i/o and interrupts in use to see if I have a conflict.

I'm also having trouble getting my modem to work.....but it's still in PnP
mode. I tried to change it, but then I had trouble in Win2000 and since I do
need it in Win2000 right now, I thought I'd better leave it and see if I
could solve the issue in Linux. First things first though. I'm more
concerned about the network card issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Ken Silverthorne

Mandrake 7.2 and a second ethernet card

Post by Jim Mortime » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 08:15:18

Have a look in /var/log/messages to see if there are any error messages
regarding eth1.  I suspect you don't have support for the 3com card in your
kernel - try insmod 3c509 and see what the machine says to that.

Jim