Mitsumi FX001D CD-Rom

Post by Dr. Christian Renn » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I have great difficulties installing linux at all.
Reason: I cannot boot from my CD-ROM.
No matter what distribution (SUSE or Redhat), I always get a kernel panic:
cannot mount FS on ...17:00 report.

I have a Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM that is connected via the special port on
the Soundblaster Pro. No problem under DOS or Windows.

Anyone here with the same configuration who solved the problems?

I try to install a kerne 1.2.13 - it did work with an old Kernel 1.2.1.

Looking for your input.

Ciao

Christian
--
Erlangen, FRG ++ Voice +9131-207473 ++ IRC:Marchal ++ pgp-key on request*
http://www.franken.de/users/daneel/C.Renner/index.html    "On the Plains

Mitsumi FX001D CD-Rom

Post by You can call me Ste » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

: Hello,

: I have great difficulties installing linux at all.
: Reason: I cannot boot from my CD-ROM.
: No matter what distribution (SUSE or Redhat), I always get a kernel panic:
: cannot mount FS on ...17:00 report.

: I have a Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM that is connected via the special port on
: the Soundblaster Pro. No problem under DOS or Windows.

: Anyone here with the same configuration who solved the problems?

    I had the same configuration and found out that none of the kernals
support the Mitsumi drive.  There are drivers available but I have not
looked at them.  They may be modules. If you cannot locate the drivers
send me e-mail and I will try to dig them up.
--
 minimalist sig:  steve immel

Mitsumi FX001D CD-Rom

Post by Richard Schust » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,
> I have great difficulties installing linux at all.
> Reason: I cannot boot from my CD-ROM.
> No matter what distribution (SUSE or Redhat), I always get a kernel panic:
> cannot mount FS on ...17:00 report.
> I have a Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM that is connected via the special port on
> the Soundblaster Pro. No problem under DOS or Windows.
> Anyone here with the same configuration who solved the problems?
> I try to install a kerne 1.2.13 - it did work with an old Kernel 1.2.1.
> Looking for your input.

i would make a bootdisk and a root disk and boot from disk and not from
cd rom.
i am doing this in that way and it works fine. i have a mitsumifx400.

regards
ricci

   *                                            *
   *  Richard Schuster                          *

   *  WWW: http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/schuste2      *
   *                                            *

Mitsumi FX001D CD-Rom

Post by Michael Api » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

>: Hello,
>: I have great difficulties installing linux at all.
>: Reason: I cannot boot from my CD-ROM.
>: No matter what distribution (SUSE or Redhat), I always get a kernel panic:
>: cannot mount FS on ...17:00 report.
>: I have a Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM that is connected via the special port on
>: the Soundblaster Pro. No problem under DOS or Windows.
>: Anyone here with the same configuration who solved the problems?
>    I had the same configuration and found out that none of the kernals
>support the Mitsumi drive.  There are drivers available but I have not
>looked at them.  They may be modules. If you cannot locate the drivers
>send me e-mail and I will try to dig them up.
>--
> minimalist sig:  steve immel

I had no problems at all in installing Linux from a FX001D (SuSE 11/95,
386/387DX-40, 8 MB RAM). During installation, I chose "kernel04.cd"
(or was ist 05 ?), and everything went on fine. It is important, that
you chose a kernel with "IDE (non-ATAPI) CD-ROMs". The only difference to
your system (Christian) is, that my Mitsumi drive is connected to a
special interface card for the Mitsumi CD-ROM (ca 30 DM), and *NOT* to the
Soundblaster port. BTW, the SB port only supports a data transfer rate
of 150 Kb/sec. That's why I bought the special interface card supporting
*ALL* 300 Kb/sec throughput, which the FX001D is able to do...
All interrupts and DMA channels for the Mitsumi drive are fixed on the
interface via jumpers, with several possibilities (my config: IRQ 10,
DMA 7, I/O 0x300h).
Furthermore, the interface package contains a 3.5'' disc with DOS
driver utils for the interface.
For me, I'm doubtlessly happy with this solution. The drive is, relatively,
fast, stable and reliable. For the case, that you still have trouble
with your CD-ROM, I think, this small interface described above is
worth the expenditure.
Propably, this is not the right solution for your problem.
Before starting the installation, just remove all unnecessary cards
from your motherboard (ethercard ...), and you'll see, maybe there's
only a conflict with another card, which is often the case.
And if you really can't get started with your CD-ROM, send me an E-Mail
with your config & Co. - I'll try to make some suggestions.

Hope that helps,        Michael

--

Snail-Mail: Michael Apitz, Ostring 5b, 85630 Grasbrunn/Neukeferloh
Tel:        +49 89 46200-372; Fax: +49 89 46200-374

Windows95 - the world's best-selling NON-operating system.