best removable storage (tape, floptical...)?

best removable storage (tape, floptical...)?

Post by Richard D. Yent » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 07:23:12

My 120M (a.k.a. 250M) floppy based tape drive started eating my tapes.  I am
thinking of upgrading instead of getting it fixed.  Basically I use it
to store old data that I might want access to again someday.  I also
use it for backup purposes.  I have an Adaptec
1540CF SCSI card so I could get a SCSI device.  What ever I end up
with must work under DOS and Linux.

What is the best choice and why (in your opinion)?

Given two choices, how do they compare in functionality versus cost?
(tape is cheaper per meg, but floptical has easier access....)

Where should I buy one and how much should I expect to spend?
(Computer Shopper ads tend to stress the floppy based tapes so the
names of a few companies to check with would save me a lot of
calling.)

Thanks a lot,

Rich

p.s. If you reply by email I will post a summary.RY
--

Apt. 114                                202-342-0952
510 21st St. North West

best removable storage (tape, floptical...)?

Post by Ralph Si » Tue, 14 Feb 1995 01:48:30

Quote:>use it for backup purposes.  I have an Adaptec
>1540CF SCSI card so I could get a SCSI device.  What ever I end up
>with must work under DOS and Linux.

I am partial to my Exabyte 8500.  It's solid, a slam-dunk install,
and runs around $1700.

Post by Mark Ha » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 11:54:42

Quote:> >use it for backup purposes.  I have an Adaptec
> >1540CF SCSI card so I could get a SCSI device.  What ever I end up
> >with must work under DOS and Linux.
> I am partial to my Exabyte 8500.  It's solid, a slam-dunk install,
> and runs around $1700.

dds and dds2 tapes tend to be cheaper.  computer shopper
reveals the HP c1533a 4-16G drive (510K/s) for $999.

regards, mark hahn.
--

1. best removable storage...

i'm looking for advice, i want a removable storage solution which will be
fast enough for mp3, but big enough for backup
2 categories
1)cost is an issue (read as, realistic, speed isn't really an issue, just as
long as its random access (for mp3's and such))
2)ideal solution (read as, if i could, i would, but can't)

thanks

mike

2. assembly howto

3. USB Removable storage under Redhat 7.1

4. help with D-Link DWL-AG650 under redhat 9

5. removable storage for RS/6000???

6. telnetd: open /dev/ptmx: No such device

7. x86 Removable Storage

8. HELP! Can't reboot w/ new glibc!

9. Removable Storage Devices

10. If you could have any non-scsi removable drive or backup tape...

11. Second DDS-3 Removable Tape not recognized

12. Backup Removable Disk/Tape/CD to CD-ROM

13. How to best configure Storage Array?