how much cache?

Post by Antonio Bouz » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am planning to add RAM to a 586/75, running Linux 2.2.8 (Slackware).

I would need to know an estimate for the ratio of cache/DRAM sizes.
Roughly speaking, how much RAM can be handled with a 256KB cache?

Thanks so much for your help,
Antonio Bouzas.

ps, please post a copy of your reply to my mailbox, as I don't have
direct Usenet access.

1. Pragma "no-cache" and Cache-Control "no-cache"

Hi people. Maybe someone of you can help me !!!

I'm Gabriele from Italy.

We have just installed an Apache server 1.3.1 on a Linux 2.0.33
server. Our web site contains pages that are daily updated and so we
want the user not to cache them anyway. So far, the only way to escape
this problem has been to let these pages pass through a cgi-bin
script. By this way, pages don't get cached.

Before that we tried with META tags inside the document as Expires,
but it seemed not to work correctly. Now we set the server to put
Headers in specified Directories (the ones that contains pages we want
not to be cached) - we compiled apache with mod_headers. And so we put
this on access.conf:

<Directory /usr1/www_tmp/htdocs/tlm/mostre>
AllowOverride All
#  Cache-Control  - HTTP/1.1  Header (Explorer)
#  Pragma - HTTP/1.0 Header (Netscape)
Header set Cache-Control "no-cache"
Header set Pragma "no-cache"
#ExpiresActive On
#ExpiresByType text/html "now"
Options FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

I tried this: that if we put Pragma header before Cache-Control,
Explorer (that use HTTP/1.1) ignore the last one. And Explorer does
the same if we insert any Expires header as the ones mentioned above
(we must comment them). Why? Netscape, instead, goes well.

Do you have any suggestions? Is it correct for you, or not? Should I
use  other headers or anything else?

And, how can I do not to permit proxies to cache these daily updated
pages?

Thank you everybody who'll pay attention to my message.

Ciao
Gabriele

2. Dialin using Solaris 2.1

3. How Inode cache and Directory Cache are maintained By VFS of Linux Kernel

4. Gateway's P5-120 Triple deck 4x CD-ROM

5. 256k cache vs 512k cache

6. Own IP address.

7. 486 caches. beware, DTK does not cache properly

8. "make htmldocs" chokes on bug in DocBook template

9. Caching vs non-caching SCSI (was 386/ESDI vs Pentium/SCSI)

10. Caching and extra drives (was: IDE CACHE BOARD with Linux??)

11. Caching nameserver does not cache!

12. can't open cache /etc/ld.so.cache

13. cache '/etc/ld.so.cache' has wrong version