HELP! Linux 1.2.0 won't recognize my HDD

HELP! Linux 1.2.0 won't recognize my HDD

Post by Ari Rosentha » Tue, 28 Mar 1995 04:31:15

Hello fellow Linux users:
        I have been running 1.1.19+ncr patches for several months now, and
have decided that I'd like to upgrade.  So, I got a CLEAN source tree to
1.2.0, and I've got a little problem.
        My system is a PCI based system, with an ASUS SC-200 (NCR 53c810)
SCSI - II controller card.  I have the NCR SDMS BIOS ver 3.04.00 on my
Motherboard.  My HDD is a Quantum LPS540S SCSI - II drive.
        Under 1.1.19+ncr, the system runs nicely.  But, I want to upgrade
(for a whole bunch of reasons...).
        When I compile 1.2.0, I get a lot of warning messages in the
NCR53c7,8xx.c file. The kernel, however, seems to work.  It just doesn't
recognize my drive.
        When it boots, the last few lines it prints are:

scsi-ncr53c7,8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0
scsi-ncr53c7,8xx: NCR 53c810 at memory 0xfc400000, io 0xd000, irq 10
scsi0: using io mapped access
scsi0: using initiator ID 7
scsi0: using level active interrupts
scsi0; burst length 8
scsi0: using 40MHz SCSI clock
scsi0: m_to_n = 0x90, n_to_m = 0xa0, n_to_n = 0xb0
scsi0: SCSI code relocated to 0x1bb73c
scsi0: testing
scsi0: test 1 started
scsi0: tests completed
scsi0: NCR53c{7,8}xx (rel 3)
scsi: 1 host

And then it dies on me....
It gives the same boot up sequence in 1.1.19, but it detects the disk...

If anybody has either experienced the same symptoms, or preferablely
knows how to get the controller to find the Drive, please let me know.

Please e-mail me all responses, as the newsgroup takes a bit of time to
read...

Thanks in advance,
Ari Rosenthal

1. 'Help, I need to repartition a full HDD from win 95'

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Red Hat 7.0 on my old Pentium 120, 32 MB ram, 2GB hdd.

As you can see I don't have a lot of HDD space. I have managed to delete
enough stuff to get about 1mb free. But I can't get win95's defrag program
to properly compact the files. I have lots of little unmovable files
scattered over my 1GB of free space, so I can only get Presizer (which I am
using to resize my existing partition) to free up 1.6 MB  :(

I have tried using a program to reset the attributes on my files changing
all the read only, system and hidden files I could find, but I suspect these
unmovable
file may not be able to be moved because windows is using them. I think I
need a better defragemting program. Just to make things more fun my 1.44FDD
is stuffed so I can only boot from the CDRW.

Any help would be great.

--
bye for now
            Mal

"Don't think..... feel"     Bruce Lee
"Feel......don't think" Qui-Gon Jinn

2. "ps -ef" takes so long

3. 'Toolkit for Linux' won't recognize CDROM

4. New HDD copy; using "Drive Copy" program (W98) to dupe Linux

5. HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card

6. Screen blanking won't work at login

7. Help: Linux won't recognize my modem

8. Linking Novell to TCP/IP, can it be done?

9. Linux (Debian) won't recognize ADAPTEC 29160N SCSI disk - Please help

10. linux won't recognise cdrom - help please

11. HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card

12. Help: Linux won't recognize my modem

13. Help: Linux Slackware won't recognise my RLL drives.