video card advice

Post by Mark Mies » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I may need to get a new video card and I was just looking for
a little advice on where and where not to get one.  I know
you can eventually get any video card working if you fiddle
with it enough, but I'd like to avoid that hassle if I can.
I know at least at one time Diamond Multimedia was one company
to watch out for because it wasn't trivial to figure out or
program the right clock rates.  Are there any video card
manufacturers that are in general easier to deal with and
are maybe even preferable for a Linux system?

I appreciate your comments,

- Mark
Mark Miesch                   Phone: (303) 492-0256
JILA                          FAX  : (303) 492-5235

Boulder, CO 80309-0440 USA    www  : http://lcd-www.colorado.edu/miesch/

video card advice

Post by Manuel Pereira da Cost » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to choose a new video card too.

I'm thinking seriously about STB LightSpeed128 because I don't need
3D (It's useless if you don't use CAD or don't play 3D Games). Until
recently, my problem was Linux compatibility with this card. It seems,
however that this is no longer a problem (Just use the newest version of
XFree).

STB's performance is good, not as good as Matrox's but it's cheaper...

I hope this mail can help you...
Tell me you opinions...

**      Manuel Pereira da Costa      **
Oeiras, Portugal

> I may need to get a new video card and I was just looking for
> a little advice on where and where not to get one.  I know
> you can eventually get any video card working if you fiddle
> with it enough, but I'd like to avoid that hassle if I can.
> I know at least at one time Diamond Multimedia was one company
> to watch out for because it wasn't trivial to figure out or
> program the right clock rates.  Are there any video card
> manufacturers that are in general easier to deal with and
> are maybe even preferable for a Linux system?

> I appreciate your comments,

> - Mark
> --
> Mark Miesch                   Phone: (303) 492-0256
> JILA                          FAX  : (303) 492-5235

> Boulder, CO 80309-0440 USA    www  : http://lcd-www.colorado.edu/miesch/

1. WTD: Sound card/video card advice

I'm currently looking at building a computer for linux/windows dual boot. It
will be primarily used for linux, but I will be booting into windows for
games/DVD.

I would like to have a good 3D card for games, and that is also supported
with linux. I will be running RH 6.0. I was initially planning on getting a
rage 128 and a SB live, but after reading about the problems some people are
having getting them to work, I don't think I'm up for that much work. (I'm a
bit of a newbie to linux)

anyhow, and help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Terrell Smith

2. Web server clustering project

3. Video Card Advice

4. core dump read out

5. video card advice

6. any programming tutorial i can found out there!!??

7. Looking for PCI video card advice

8. Adding partions??

9. Video Card Advice

10. Video card advice for a new Linux system

11. Video card advice

12. Seeking video card advice

13. PCI Video card advice