Risc 6000 Monitor

Post by Carolyn Beckm » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

        Has anyone brought up X with Risc 6000 monitor
6091?  It is a fixed frequency monitor which only displays
1280X1024.  I would appreciate details if anyone has used
this with a linux machine.

        Carolyn Beckman

Risc 6000 Monitor

Post by Daniel E. Whick » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

:       Has anyone brought up X with Risc 6000 monitor
: 6091?  It is a fixed frequency monitor which only displays
: 1280X1024.  I would appreciate details if anyone has used
: this with a linux machine.
: --

I'm not familiar with their use in Linux, but I use a 6091 on my Xstation at work.

Risc 6000 Monitor

Post by Mark Vojkovi » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>:   Has anyone brought up X with Risc 6000 monitor
>: 6091?  It is a fixed frequency monitor which only displays
>: 1280X1024.  I would appreciate details if anyone has used
>: this with a linux machine.
>: --

>I'm not familiar with their use in Linux, but I use a 6091 on my Xstation at work.

  I've got some modelines for a 5081 on my web page.  Not sure if
they would work for the 6091 but you might want to take a look.
The fixed frequency PC Video FAQ is also a good resource:
        http://www.devo.com/video/
I've got a link to there from my 5081 page.

                        Mark.

Risc 6000 Monitor

Post by Mark Vojkovi » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>>:       Has anyone brought up X with Risc 6000 monitor
>>: 6091?  It is a fixed frequency monitor which only displays
>>: 1280X1024.  I would appreciate details if anyone has used
>>: this with a linux machine.
>>: --

>>I'm not familiar with their use in Linux, but I use a 6091 on my Xstation at work.

>  I've got some modelines for a 5081 on my web page.  Not sure if
>they would work for the 6091 but you might want to take a look.
>The fixed frequency PC Video FAQ is also a good resource:
>    http://www.devo.com/video/
>I've got a link to there from my 5081 page.

  Whoops! forgot to post my web page. It's
        http://sdss.ucsd.edu/~jesus

                                MArk.

Risc 6000 Monitor

Post by Hank Leininge » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>    Has anyone brought up X with Risc 6000 monitor
> 6091?  It is a fixed frequency monitor which only displays
> 1280X1024.  I would appreciate details if anyone has used
> this with a linux machine.

I sure have... I run two of them on my Linux box at the office.
Nice monitors.  They are limited to:

1280x1024x60Hz (the way they are most often run on RS6k's)
1152x900x67Hz
1024x1024x? (weird geometry I've never tried on an RS6k or a PC)
1024x768x? (Why would I want to run such a low resolution? ;)

You'll need two things:

-Hardware that'll drive it.  I've used a number of different PC video
  cards to talk to these things, including Matrox Milleniums & various
  Diamond cards -- the basic requirement is that it supports sync-on-
  green signal output.  You'll also need a special 15-pin-to-5BNC cable.
  These aren't cheap; you can get them at a fair price from Software
  Integrators at http://www.si87.com/

-Software configurations that'll work.  For XFree you'll need a modeline
  that'll drive it at the correct scan rate.  Email me if you need it;
  I have one that should do the trick.  Either XInside's Accelerated X or
  MetroLink's MetroX will be easier to get working than XFree (although,
  I had to fix the "1280x1024x60Hz" MetroX modeline by hand -- AccelX's
  worked first time).

Like I said, I'm running two of these on my desk.  At 1280x1024x24bit
color, using two 4MB Matrox Milleniums.  It almost makes my Linux box
feel like a real workstation ;)

Senior Systems Integrator
Progressive Computer Concepts, Inc
(800)580-2640

Risc 6000 Monitor

:
: I sure have... I run two of them on my Linux box at the office.
:
:
:
: You'll need two things:
:
: -Hardware that'll drive it.  I've used a number of different PC video
:   cards to talk to these things, including Matrox Milleniums & various
:   Diamond cards -- the basic requirement is that it supports sync-on-
:   green signal output.  You'll also need a special 15-pin-to-5BNC cable.
:   These aren't cheap; you can get them at a fair price from Software
:   Integrators at http://www.si87.com/
:
The first question is why a five BNC end.  I've looked at the thing
and yes it does have five connectors colorcoded black, white, blue,
green, and red, and repeated twice, but only blue, green and red are
connected to the risc.  I wonder if it makes a difference?  Reason?
Someone has just offered me a three connector cable. The price is right.

: -Software configurations that'll work.  For XFree you'll need a modeline
:   that'll drive it at the correct scan rate.  Email me if you need it;
:   I have one that should do the trick.  Either XInside's Accelerated X or
:   MetroLink's MetroX will be easier to get working than XFree (although,
:   I had to fix the "1280x1024x60Hz" MetroX modeline by hand -- AccelX's
:   worked first time).
:
: Like I said, I'm running two of these on my desk.  At 1280x1024x24bit
: color, using two 4MB Matrox Milleniums.  It almost makes my Linux box
: feel like a real workstation ;)
:
: I could see the advantage of that if you can display different things
on the two monitors.  We play with molecular models and space is a
consideration.  The last faq I read suggested that two would display
the same thing. :-(.  I do not see the advantage of that.   Do your
monitors display ascii?

        Carolyn Beckman

1. FS: IBM RS/6000 Risc System/6000 SERVER POWERSTATION currently at $49.00

Please go to our webpage to see this and other great items that we have up for
auction on E-Bay.  Direct sales of items are also available.

http://WWW.JLAENTERPRISES.COM

Be sure to bookmark the page and check back weekly for many new items across
the board that will be added.  DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT YOU NEED TODAY?  CALL
US AT (919) 844-0960 FOR DIRECT SALES.  We ship worldwide.

Thank You
JLA ENTERPRISES

WE BUY ANYTHING. CORPORATE ASSET RECOVERY/LIQUIDATION (AKA INVESTMENT
RECOVERY). SURPLUS, EXCESS INVENTORY, OVERSTOCK, OBSOLETE AND USED ITEMS. IF
YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL GIVE US A CALL!!! SINGLE PIECE OR MULTIPLE
TRUCKLOADS. WE WILL PICK UP FROM ANYWHERE IN THE US (BY TRUCKLOAD ONLY).
CORPORATIONS OR INDIVIDUALS. CASH PAID FOR ALL ITEMS WITH NO HASSLE!!! (919)

If the web address above does not work, an alternate site is:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/jla_enterprises

2. Pb with Type1,TrueType

3. Windows NT and PowerStation 530/RISC 6000

4. ! WORK FOR YOURSELF--- MORTGAGE INDUSTRY_____

5. RISC 6000 MACHINE

6. HELP: rexec to root

7. What is "IOCC bus timeout" AIX 3.2.5 RISC 6000 58F

8. CDE troubles..Newbe

9. RISC/6000 Free for all

10. Has anybody ported X11R4 server on RISC/6000?

11. Sound Blaster Support for RISC System/6000

12. rt > risc/6000

13. Inaccurate system clock on IBM RISC 6000