MouseSystems PS/2 Optical Mouse gpm problem

MouseSystems PS/2 Optical Mouse gpm problem

Post by mark carro » Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have a three-button Genius mouse that, set as a PS/2 mouse on
/dev/psaux, works fine with gpm. However, it's dying.

So, I went out and bought a MouseSystems PS/2 Optical Mouse, also
three-button. It works fine on a Windows 98 machine.

However, I can't get gpm to recognise it. I try telling it it's on
/dev/psaux and have tried types ps2, ms, msc, etc., etc... but no
joy. Also, despite the fact that I shut down xdm, etc. before running
it, gpm-mouse-test variously hangs the computer completely or fails to
respond at all to me performing a requested action then pressing a
key.

Does anyone else have one of these mice working?

-- Mark

MouseSystems PS/2 Optical Mouse gpm problem

Post by mark carro » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

It turns out to be a regular PS/2 mouse. My mistake was that, because
gpmconfig starts gpm after you've put your settings into it, I figured
it stops it before it tries to change the settings. Instead, despite
having a previous gpm running, it claims to be starting one, except
that the new changes didn't actually take effect! Stopping gpm before
running gpmconfig made it work as expected.

I won't be making that mistake again. (-:

-- Mark

1. optical mouse (ps/2 - usb) random events problems as ps/2?

Hi,

I just got a optical mouse that has ps/2 and usb connections, and tried
it connecting thru ps/2. X stars fine and runs ok except this very often
RANDOM uncontrollable mouse moves and click events. I have it setup
/dev/psaux as my older computer.

Can somebody give me some clues what might be the problem?

Thanks.

2. backup options -- BRU?

3. Problem with MouseSystem PS/2 Mouse

4. Understanding Linux development

5. MouseSystems Optical Mouse

6. Wanted: -current kernel

7. gpm: PS/2 mouse and serial mouse

8. ipmasq not working with some web sites

9. MouseSystems Protocol Mouse with PS/2 connector

10. PS/2 Mouse & GPM Problem

11. Problem with PS/2 mouse, gpm and X...

12. Problems with PS/2 mouse, gpm and X

13. Q: Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical USB & PS/2 Compatible + USB = problem