Upgrading mobo and cpu - should I reinstall?

Upgrading mobo and cpu - should I reinstall?

Post by Zigg » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:16:16

Hi.  I'm upgrading my mobo to a Asus a7n8x deluxe and cpu to a Barton 2500+.
Do y'all think it's a good idea to reinstall everything?  I'm currently
running a dual boot win2k + redhat linux.  My primary HD as a 30GB partition
that holds win2k, and a 10GB partition which holds linux.  Will the change
of mobo and cpu mess this up?  Thanx in advance.

Ziggi
--
{When did I realise I was God? I was praying one day, and realised I was
talking to myself.}

Upgrading mobo and cpu - should I reinstall?

Post by phil » Sat, 03 May 2003 06:11:55

Quote:> Hi.  I'm upgrading my mobo to a Asus a7n8x deluxe and cpu to a Barton
2500+.
> Do y'all think it's a good idea to reinstall everything?  I'm currently
> running a dual boot win2k + redhat linux.  My primary HD as a 30GB
partition
> that holds win2k, and a 10GB partition which holds linux.  Will the change
> of mobo and cpu mess this up?  Thanx in advance.

i do a lot of computer re-building
and win2k is one of the least likely OS's to survive such a move

red hat may might be reconfigurable however

a fresh installation may not be too bad of an idea

Post by Stace » Sat, 03 May 2003 10:59:18

> Hi.  I'm upgrading my mobo to a Asus a7n8x deluxe and cpu to a Barton
> 2500+.
> Do y'all think it's a good idea to reinstall everything?  I'm currently
> running a dual boot win2k + redhat linux.  My primary HD as a 30GB
> partition
> that holds win2k, and a 10GB partition which holds linux.  Will the change
> of mobo and cpu mess this up?  Thanx in advance.

> Ziggi
> --

Red Hat should be OK, especialy if you have kudzu running on boot before the
swap. Windows 2K might not even boot.
--

  Stacey

Post by KC Computer » Sat, 03 May 2003 13:52:26

Quote:> Hi.  I'm upgrading my mobo to a Asus a7n8x deluxe and cpu to a Barton
2500+.
> Do y'all think it's a good idea to reinstall everything?  I'm currently
> running a dual boot win2k + redhat linux.  My primary HD as a 30GB
partition
> that holds win2k, and a 10GB partition which holds linux.  Will the change
> of mobo and cpu mess this up?  Thanx in advance.

Changing Motherboards With Windows 2000/XP

XP has problems when changing motherboards.
What you have to do is: Boot from the XP CD, skip past the screen that asks
if you want to 'repair using recovery console.' The next screen or perhaps
the one following should ask whether you want to do a 'repair install' or a
'clean install.' Choose 'repair.' It may ask for the product 'key,' the 25
alpha-numeric characters you entered with your first install.

--

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner              KC COMPUTERS

Internet dealer for 11+ years!!!  See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Upgrading mobo and cpu - should I reinstall?

Post by Bruce Chamber » Sun, 04 May 2003 08:42:48

Greetings --

   Unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old one
(same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need to
perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very
least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent
hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB...

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
----
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

Quote:> Hi.  I'm upgrading my mobo to a Asus a7n8x deluxe and cpu to a
Barton 2500+.
> Do y'all think it's a good idea to reinstall everything?  I'm
currently
> running a dual boot win2k + redhat linux.  My primary HD as a 30GB
partition
> that holds win2k, and a 10GB partition which holds linux.  Will the
change
> of mobo and cpu mess this up?  Thanx in advance.

> Ziggi
> --
> {When did I realise I was God? I was praying one day, and realised I
was
> talking to myself.}

1. Upgrading motherboard/CPU - Need reinstall?

I'm going to be upgrading from a VLB based Motherboard and Pentium 133 upgrade
CPU to a full-blown ATX-style PII motherboard and PII/440 CPU with PCI bus.
Will I have to reinstall Linux or just reconfigure XWindows with
Xconfigurator?

2. Toshiba XM-5302B

3. what CPUs for this mobo?

4. nat/identd problem

5. dual cpu mobo's

6. Signals in Linux

7. CPU/mobo temperature monitors?

8. Is there a Chicago area LUG?

9. Experience with Gigabyte K8NF-9 Mobo (Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core CPU?

10. How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

11. Best CPU for Asus HX MoBo ?

12. Changed CPU+MoBo - Now X is streaky!

13. SMP mobo + CPU