SCSI Drives

Post by Sila » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 10:50:50

I'm running Redhat 7.3  on an intel based machine with 256 ram with an
Adaptec 2940UW running 2 hds.  I don't know if this is normal but my drives
are getting to hot to handle.  Is this normal?  Is there anything I can do
to make these drives cool down without useing another fan?  My PSU has no
more open connectors.

SCSI Drives

Post by Paul Lutu » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:22:34

> I'm running Redhat 7.3  on an intel based machine with 256 ram with an
> Adaptec 2940UW running 2 hds.  I don't know if this is normal but my
> drives are getting to hot to handle.  Is this normal?

No, it is not. It is dangerous to your system. Remember that typical ICs
have plastic packages that melt at or about the boiling point of water.

Quote:>  Is there anything I can do
> to make these drives cool down without useing another fan?

You have to do whatever is required. Shut down the system, take it apart,
and vacuum every bit of dust from every air passage. Then add any fans you
can manage.

But neglect will kill such a system faster than age will.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

SCSI Drives

Post by Floyd Davidso » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 17:58:44

>> I'm running Redhat 7.3  on an intel based machine with 256 ram with an
>> Adaptec 2940UW running 2 hds.  I don't know if this is normal but my
>> drives are getting to hot to handle.  Is this normal?

>No, it is not. It is dangerous to your system. Remember that typical ICs
>have plastic packages that melt at or about the boiling point of water.

Another real Lutus.

Quote:>>  Is there anything I can do
>> to make these drives cool down without useing another fan?

>You have to do whatever is required. Shut down the system, take it apart,
>and vacuum every bit of dust from every air passage. Then add any fans you
>can manage.

>But neglect will kill such a system faster than age will.

While the previous comment may be hyperbole, these two are in
fact correct.

Some drives do produce a great deal of heat, and that can lead
to a shorter life span if not taken into account.

The obvious thing is to add more fans, but just as important is
to make sure that the drives have air space above and below, and
make sure there is air flow.  Typical cases probably do not have
a fan located where it causes any significant air flow past the
hard disk bays.  Likewise on smaller cases the hard disks and a
floppy drive may be stacked one on top of the other, allowing no
room for air to move between them.

One trick is to mount a 3.5" hard disk in brackets to allow
it to fit into a 5.25" half height bay.  That leaves room around
it for air.  If multiple drives drives must be mounted in the
3.5" bay, they should be separated by one space (2 drives in
a 4 drive bay).

If that cannot be done, the best answer is using one or more
very well placed fans.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>

1. Mount SCSI NCR 810 + ZIP DRIVE + SCSI DRIVE

What kind of scsi controller do you have for you hard disk? Which
version of Linux are you running?

You could try:
  mount /dev/sda4 /zip -t msdos

to mount the zip drive, but that assumes that your kernel has the
aha152x
scsi driver compiled in, and that you have msdos file system support
and that you have a directory called /zip created.

Might want to do some reading in the HOWTO documents and man pages.

2. My first rabbit

3. Adding a SCSI controller changing boot drive to SCSI drive

4. ED SOURCE - WHERE?

5. PCI EIDE drives, PCI SCSI drives, controllers

6. Merge, Phone Blaster and Sound Blaster

7. LILO + windows on a SCSI drive + linux on an IDE drive

8. Getting 3.1 FreeBSD

9. Is it possible to boot from a SCSI drive if two IDE drives are installed?

10. SCSI bootdisk won't recognize SCSI drive.

11. Booting off of SCSI drive with 2 IDE drives in system

12. Can PAS16 SCSI drive SCSI DAT tape?

13. Can SCSI drive be used for wide SCSI card?