BIOS drive info != Linux drive info

Post by c.. » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 I just bought a 20 GIG drive and am having a devil of a time getting it
installed on my Redhat 6.1 system. I updated the BIOS for LBA support
and it sees the drive as being 20523 kBytes, 2495 cylinders, 255 heads,
LANDZ=39769, 63 sectors. When Redhat boots though, checking dmesg shows
the drive is detected as:

hdd: WDC WD205BA, 8063MB w/2048 kB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63.

I've tried using the LILO boot prompt hack of "linux hdd=1024/16/63" as
suggested in a USENET post, but to no avail.

Any ideas would be met with much thanks,

Michael Czeiszperger
Raleigh, NC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Robie Bas » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I just bought a 20 GIG drive and am having a devil of a time getting it
>installed on my Redhat 6.1 system. I updated the BIOS for LBA support
>and it sees the drive as being 20523 kBytes, 2495 cylinders, 255 heads,
>LANDZ=39769, 63 sectors. When Redhat boots though, checking dmesg shows
>the drive is detected as:

>hdd: WDC WD205BA, 8063MB w/2048 kB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63.

>I've tried using the LILO boot prompt hack of "linux hdd=1024/16/63" as
>suggested in a USENET post, but to no avail.

>Any ideas would be met with much thanks,

>Michael Czeiszperger
>Raleigh, NC

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Linux always sees the real drive geometry - unless you are dual
booting with an inferior OS (in this respect anyway), the only need
for the BIOS setting is to get LILO to boot.

I found that the easiest way to do this is to set the BIOS to any
mode (but stick to it), and create a small partition at the beginning
of the drive to mount into /boot, where I keep the kernel (the more
cylinders in the BIOS, the smaller the partition, 15M on my machine).
This way, LILO can find it, and then Linux doesn't need the BIOS
geometries any more.

Robie.

--

Post by c.. » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I just bought a 20 GIG drive and am having a devil of a time getting
it
> installed on my Redhat 6.1 system. I updated the BIOS for LBA support
> and it sees the drive as being 20523 kBytes, 2495 cylinders, 255
heads,

Actually, RedHat 6.1 was working fine, it was a hardware problem.
Because of lack of sleep with a new baby, I configured the Western
Digitial drive as a 9 pin, when it was really a 10 pin. With the wrong
DIP switch settings it didn't function correctly. :-(