Palm pilot and serial port question

Post by Thaddeus Selde » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

   I've been trying to get Linux to recognize my Palm Pilot cradle and I'm
a little confused about something. I've never installed Windows on the
machine and so I don't know exactly what port I should be using. I'm
assuming that it's on Windows COM2. When I try using /dev/ttyS1 or
/dev/cua1, I get the message:

pi_bind Device or resource busy
Check your serial port and settings

   Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between
/dev/ttys* and /dev/cua*? I use /dev/cua0 for my Wacom graphics tablet and
it works fine. On my old machine, I only had one serial port and used
/dev/cua0 for both the cradle and the tablet and just switched between
them. But now all of the documentation says to use /dev/ttyS*. Also, any
ideas how to fix the problem? I've already made sure to use the /dev/pilot
link to whichever serial port I'm trying and made sure that permissions are
correct. TIA

-Thaddeus Selden

http://www.thaddeus.net

Post by Paul Hughet » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

:    Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between
: /dev/ttys* and /dev/cua*? I use /dev/cua0 for my Wacom graphics tablet and
: it works fine. On my old machine, I only had one serial port and used
: /dev/cua0 for both the cradle and the tablet and just switched between
: them. But now all of the documentation says to use /dev/ttyS*. Also, any
: ideas how to fix the problem? I've already made sure to use the /dev/pilot
: link to whichever serial port I'm trying and made sure that permissions are
: correct. TIA

As far as I know, /dev/ttyS* refers to a plain serial port; /dev/cua*
refers to the exact same hardware but assumes there is a modem
attached to it and add functionality to support dial-out using that
modem.  In my experience, the pilot-link command (and presumably all
the other palm software) will work fine with either, but /dev/ttyS0
probably captures the semantics more precisely.

I can't help you with your other problem, however; I haven't experienced
that one personally yet.

Paul Hughett

Post by Henrik Becke » Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> :    Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between
> : /dev/ttys* and /dev/cua*? I use /dev/cua0 for my Wacom graphics tablet and
> : it works fine. On my old machine, I only had one serial port and used
> : /dev/cua0 for both the cradle and the tablet and just switched between
> : them. But now all of the documentation says to use /dev/ttyS*. Also, any
> : ideas how to fix the problem? I've already made sure to use the /dev/pilot
> : link to whichever serial port I'm trying and made sure that permissions are
> : correct. TIA

the cua are an old standard, only use the new ttyS* now.

Now what is the other problem?

You might want to take a look at the jpilot guide at (see below), it has some
stuff on the ttyS*

--

support FREE SOFTWARE www.KDE.org www.WINDOWMAKER.org www.LINUX.org

dt. J-Pilot Handbuch fertig: http://www.henrikbecker.de/jpilot

1. Palm Pilot / Serial Port ???

I downloaded the pilot-link tools but I've been unable to get
them to work.

pilot-xfer -b /home/bob/pilot           as well as
pilot-xfer /dev/pilot -b /home/bob/pilot

just sit there. A connection is never made after I hit the synch
button on the pilot.

I have the link made to /dev/pilot made, just like the instructions
say to do.

crw-------   2 rskoss   root       5,  64 May  5  1998 cua0
crw-------   2 rskoss   root       5,  64 May  5  1998 pilot

Any ideas where I should look?

--

Robert Koss, Ph.D.  | Object Mentor, Inc.    | Tel: (800) 338-6716
Senior Consultant   | 14619 N Somerset Cr    | Fax: (847) 918-1023

2. Can't set up security with CERN server!

3. Gnome-Pilot Fails to Communicate with Palm Pilot

4. ATI all in wonder pro and Samsung monitor

5. Palm Pilot / Serial Device

6. fcntl_setlk() called by process ?? with broken flock emulation

7. Palm Pilot as serial console

8. Help with DIP

9. Old Palm Pilot and Redhat question

10. USB Palm Pilot and Linux Questions.

11. Linux / palm pilot question (newbie)

12. Serial port configuration and pilot-xfer

13. Logitech pilot combo: in search of 3 button mouse for serial port