Problem: Compaq Prosignia with SCSI-2 Controller

Problem: Compaq Prosignia with SCSI-2 Controller

Post by Nathan Lodoe » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I am attempting to install the latest Linux Slackware version (from
floppies) on an older Compaq Prosignia (486/66) but am running into
problems with the integrated SCSI controller (either a Fast SCSI-2 or a
Fast-Wide SCSI-2/E).  I am not sure of the make of the controller
(Compaq?), but when booting from the Linux boot disk I get a message
indicating that the WD-7000 (Western Digital 7000) SCIS controler can't
be initialized and as a result the two SCSI drives (a 550MB and 1.05GB
Compaq SCSI drives) aren't detected.  I started with the generic scis.s
boot image and then tried the 7000fast.s boot image after I got the
message which seemed to indicate that the controller was a WD-7000.
Both of them failed to detect the controller (and hence the two SCSI
drives) and I got the same message.  So, I'm not sure if the problem is
due to the fact that the SCSI controller is not supported, I'm using a
wrong boot disk, I need to specify some boot parameters, or something
else.
     Has anyone been able to get Linux running on a Compaq Prosignia
with the integrated SCSI controller?  If so, what boot image did you use
and/or what boot parmeters did you need to use (if any)?  I attempted to
but I wasn't able to determine what values I should be using for dma and
iobase (irq is 15).  I've pretty much run out of ideas and this being
only my second Linux install I don't have a lot of expertise to draw
on.  Any and all advice would be appreciated!  If more information is
required from me to be able to help me out, let me know and I'll provide
what is needed.  Thanks!

Nathan Lodoen
Network Engineer
TMG

Post by Ross Irvi » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: I am attempting to install the latest Linux Slackware version (from
: floppies) on an older Compaq Prosignia (486/66) but am running into
: problems with the integrated SCSI controller (either a Fast SCSI-2 or a

This should almost be an FAQ!!

The Prosignia's SCSI controller is a NCR53c710 fast-scsi-II controller.

There is currently No Intel driver for the NCR 53c710 for linux. There IS
a driver for the x86 version of linux. If you're good at ASM and low
level drivers you might try to port the x86 driver to intel. It's included
in the standard kernel distribution for x86.

Regards..

--

B.App Sci (Comp Sci), CNA        Still working on the CNE....
Communications & Network Admin   Phone GSM : +61 419 565232

1. Compaq Prosignia/Proliant SCSI Controller & linux

I'd like to install Caldera Open Linux on a Compaq Sever (Proliant
and/or Prosignia)

those server have  a SCSI controller inside, and the Compaq Service
Center told me that they are Symbios Controller.

Well, i searched in Scsi-HowTo and Symbios Internet site
(www.symbios.com) but there are no information about driver for Linux.

Has anyone any information about Linux support of this controller ?
Are they really not supported  (and so no possibility to use the
inside controller ) ?
Will they be supported ? when ?

thanks!

2. anybody using gwstat/wwwstat?

3. Linux / Compaq ProSignia VS / NCR 53c710 embedded SCSI controller

4. 4.5-STABLE locking-up repeatedly

5. Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller

6. new hard drive in a PB Lombard?

7. Compaq Prosignia Smart-SCSI controller

8. Seagate STT28000A-RFT supported or not?

9. help: linux can't find my scsi controller (compaq prosignia)

10. HELP! Compaq Prosignia SCSI controller ?

11. SCSI driver for Internal SCSI device Compaq Prosignia

12. Compaq Prosignia SCSI Problem