120 GB HD

Post by Allan Adle » Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:21:25

If I want to install Linux on a PC with a 120 GB HD, will RedHat 8.1 or
so have trouble formatting or using such a large hard drive? Is there
something special one has to do that one doesn't have to do with much
smaller drives?

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

*                                                                          *
*  Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial       *
*              Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect    *
*              in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston   *
*              metropolitan area.                                          *
*                                                                          *

120 GB HD

Post by Bit Twiste » Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:07:32

Quote:

> If I want to install Linux on a PC with a 120 GB HD, will RedHat 8.1 or
> so have trouble formatting or using such a large hard drive?

If your bios can find it correctly, you should be able to use it.
My Redhat 8.0 is on a 120 gig drive.

/dev/hdb7 /rh80 ext3 defaults 1 2

120 GB HD

Post by John Thompso » Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:01:09

Quote:> If I want to install Linux on a PC with a 120 GB HD, will RedHat 8.1 or
> so have trouble formatting or using such a large hard drive? Is there
> something special one has to do that one doesn't have to do with much
> smaller drives?

Linux would have no problem, but depending on the PC BIOS you may have to
restrict the boot partition to a certain size.

--

120 GB HD

Post by Steve Wolf » Fri, 23 Apr 2004 05:51:17

Quote:> > If I want to install Linux on a PC with a 120 GB HD, will RedHat 8.1
or so
> > have trouble formatting or using such a large hard drive? Is there
> > something special one has to do that one doesn't have to do with much
> > smaller drives?

> Not that I'm aware of. Unless your ancient bios won't see
> full disk at boot time.

  Even then, all is not necessarily lost.  As long as your BIOS can access
the bootstrap and kernel, that will get you far enough that you no longer
need the BIOS for disk access.  As an example, I have a P3/650 at home
with an 80-gig drive.  If I try and let the board auto-detect the drive,
or manually enter the settings, it will lock up as soon as the POST
diagnostics run.

  So, I told the BIOS that it had an 8-gig hard drive (making up some
numbers for the cylinders, heads, and sectors).  The BIOS will get far
enough to load LILO's code, which loads the kernel, and from there, it's
easy sailing.

steve

1. Can 120 GB HD work as slave?

Hi folks,

I know about the Large Disk HOWTO and plan to read through it, but
could use a quick answer to help decide whether I need to return
some hardware.

I have Red Hat 7.2 installed on a P-100 with a 1.2 GB hard drive.
I just bought a 120 GB WD IDE drive, planning to use it as a slave for
back-up.  My BIOS only recognizes 8.2 GB on the new drive.  If I
keep the 1.2 GB  drive as the master and boot from it, is it possible
to use the entire capacity of the 120 GB as hdb from linux?

The HOWTO sounds like it is, but it's going to take me a while to
plow through it and reassurance on this would help.

Thanks!

--

2. Modem callback software wanted (login security)

3. Unknown major/minor Devtype - IBM DeskStar 120 GB

4. GMSI seeks Solaris System Administrator

5. 120 Gb drive with Linux?

6. solaris 2.5 hangs repeatadly

7. 2x 120 GB IDE + NFS server = crash

8. NFSD RH 6.x

9. Big Harddisk (Matrox, 120 GB)

10. Installing Red Hat EL 3.0 on external USB drive ( Maxtor 300 LE, 120 GB )

11. How to partition 120 GB drive for Solaris 9

12. Problems with HighPoint Rocket 100 and/or Seagate 120 GB hard drive

13. 386SX-16 with 8 Megs/120 HD...