A7V and Linux?

Post by St├ęphane Gauche » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
jut bought the ASUS AV7 with Duron 650 MHz,
unfortunately my linux doesn't boot anymore.

any Idea??

Thanks,

Stphane

A7V and Linux?

Post by Alain VALLETO » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,
> jut bought the ASUS AV7 with Duron 650 MHz,
> unfortunately my linux doesn't boot anymore.

> any Idea??

Nope.

This afternoon, I bought the Asus A7V with a Duron 600 MHz, and my Linux flies :o)
(the Duron is already o/c at 630 MHz :o)

Really.

What kind of processor was installed before upgrading (might be important if the
kernel was compiled with something special in)?

Before I had a K6-2 450.

Have a nice day,

--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

A7V and Linux?

Post by Robert M. Stockman » Mon, 21 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,
> jut bought the ASUS AV7 with Duron 650 MHz,
> unfortunately my linux doesn't boot anymore.

> any Idea??

> Thanks,

> Stphane

Redhat 6.2's kernel thinks the Athlon (Duron/Thunderbird) inside your PC
is a genuine Intel PIII CPU.
The standard installed redhat kernel then tries to disable the CPU ID.
The Ahtlon CPU doesn't like that, and the kernel panics.

Solution : boot the box with the Redhat 6.2 cdrom and choose rescue.
mount your root partition on hda and check inside /boot if there's
a different kernel inside /boot to boot. On my A7V redhat6.2 box
there was this kernel available after a fresh install :

vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0.14BOOT

edit /mnt/etc/lilo.conf to boot this kernel, and run /mnt/sbin/lilo -r
/mnt

This should be enough to boot normally from /dev/hda.

Next build a new kernel and module set :

cd /usr/src/linux ; make menuconfig  (choose Processor type and features

and select Pentium/K6/TSC  instead of PIII/Xeon/Deschutes ) ;
next do a :

make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install ;
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz ; cp System.map /boot ; lilo ;
reboot
( check /etc/lilo.conf and /boot if your new kernel vmlinuz is selected)
and your Athlon (Thunderbird/Duron) box should be fine.

Actually the redhat 6.2 installation fails on Duron and Thunderbirds,
but thats something redhat has to sort out.

Robert
--
++---------------------++---------------------------------++
|| R.M. Stockmann      ||   InfoMagic Nederland VOF       ||

++---------------------++---------------------------------++
Linux: A copylefted Unix-like operating system for several platforms :
http://perso.wanadoo.es/xose/linux/linux_ports.html

A7V and Linux?

Post by sideban » Mon, 21 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > Hello,
> > jut bought the ASUS AV7 with Duron 650 MHz,
> > unfortunately my linux doesn't boot anymore.

> > any Idea??

> > Thanks,

> > Stphane

> Redhat 6.2's kernel thinks the Athlon (Duron/Thunderbird) inside your PC
> is a genuine Intel PIII CPU.
> The standard installed redhat kernel then tries to disable the CPU ID.
> The Ahtlon CPU doesn't like that, and the kernel panics.

> Solution : boot the box with the Redhat 6.2 cdrom and choose rescue.
> mount your root partition on hda and check inside /boot if there's
> a different kernel inside /boot to boot. On my A7V redhat6.2 box
> there was this kernel available after a fresh install :

> vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0.14BOOT

> edit /mnt/etc/lilo.conf to boot this kernel, and run /mnt/sbin/lilo -r
> /mnt

> This should be enough to boot normally from /dev/hda.

> Next build a new kernel and module set :

> cd /usr/src/linux ; make menuconfig  (choose Processor type and features

> and select Pentium/K6/TSC  instead of PIII/Xeon/Deschutes ) ;
> next do a :

> make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install ;
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz ; cp System.map /boot ; lilo ;
> reboot
> ( check /etc/lilo.conf and /boot if your new kernel vmlinuz is selected)
> and your Athlon (Thunderbird/Duron) box should be fine.

> Actually the redhat 6.2 installation fails on Duron and Thunderbirds,
> but thats something redhat has to sort out.

> Robert
> --
> ++---------------------++---------------------------------++
> || R.M. Stockmann      ||   InfoMagic Nederland VOF       ||

> ++---------------------++---------------------------------++
> Linux: A copylefted Unix-like operating system for several platforms :
> http://perso.wanadoo.es/xose/linux/linux_ports.html

"make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make
modules_install"

would be better... it would resolve all the dependancies, and if there's an
error, it won't scroll by unnoticed.

Just my two cents.

-SSB

A7V and Linux?

Post by Marsto » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 11:51:13

Hello,

Is there a summary of the following 'make' commands you could
recommend?: