Problem with Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM / XFree86

Problem with Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM / XFree86

Post by » Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:16:14

I have a Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM 3240 (TI RAMDAC) video card
with 2Mb RAM. Under XFree86 3.6.x using the SVGA driver worked
fine for 1152x864 16b color depth.

Now, it is no longer supproted by XFree86 4.3.x as an S3 card.
(SVGA driver does not exitst anymore in this version)
I have to use the vesa driver with a resolution 1024x768
Vesa does not support 1152x864 (?).

Can anyone think of a way to get my video card to 1152x864 ?
..or
Does anyone know how to get my video card to use the S3 driver
without crashing on the RAMDAC probe of XFree86.

Rolf

Post by Jim Merche » Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:41:47

> I have a Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM 3240 (TI RAMDAC) video card
> with 2Mb RAM. Under XFree86 3.6.x using the SVGA driver worked
> fine for 1152x864 16b color depth.

> Now, it is no longer supproted by XFree86 4.3.x as an S3 card.
> (SVGA driver does not exitst anymore in this version)
> I have to use the vesa driver with a resolution 1024x768
> Vesa does not support 1152x864 (?).

> Can anyone think of a way to get my video card to 1152x864 ?
> ..or
> Does anyone know how to get my video card to use the S3 driver
> without crashing on the RAMDAC probe of XFree86.

> Rolf

Ah ha!  So that's why my redhat 9 does not work.

You are not alone.  I also have that board, and I got the RAMDAC message
when the boot failed.

Please post any more info you have.  Do I need to re-install and pick
the vesa driver?  Is that the name of it, "vesa"?

Thanks!

Post by » Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:49:56

>> I have a Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM 3240 (TI RAMDAC) video card
>> with 2Mb RAM. Under XFree86 3.6.x using the SVGA driver worked
>> fine for 1152x864 16b color depth.

>> Now, it is no longer supproted by XFree86 4.3.x as an S3 card.
>> (SVGA driver does not exitst anymore in this version)
>> I have to use the vesa driver with a resolution 1024x768
>> Vesa does not support 1152x864 (?).

>> Can anyone think of a way to get my video card to 1152x864 ?
>> ..or
>> Does anyone know how to get my video card to use the S3 driver
>> without crashing on the RAMDAC probe of XFree86.

>> Rolf

> Ah ha!  So that's why my redhat 9 does not work.

> You are not alone.  I also have that board, and I got the RAMDAC message
> when the boot failed.

> Please post any more info you have.  Do I need to re-install and pick
> the vesa driver?  Is that the name of it, "vesa"?

> Thanks!

No, you don't have to re-install.... at least not if you start in
textmode. You can simply edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and replace the
"s3" driver with "vesa" .

If you going to re-install, make sure you start in text mode.
If you are not a typer-person, make sure you install "mc" ( midnight
commander ), which helps you to quickly go through the directory
structures and edit/view files..

After reboot you get a text screen where you will be prompted for username and
password .... When you are logged in, you have to type "startx" ( took me
a while to find out ) to start the x-server which starts the nice
graphical interface ( Gnome/KDE/.. ).

Oh... if you want to edit the XF86Config file, you need "root" permissins.

Rolf

1. Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM with XFree86 3.12 (Problem)

 I thought that I had everything working and then noticed that the edges of
the windows that were off the screen on the left were wrapped around on the
right.  Also the mouse seems to be off by two or three vertical lines.  It
seems that the whole screen is shifted to the left.

I have a Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM with XFree86 3.12 and I used the XF86Config
program.   Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. Cannot start new installation

3. Problem with XFree86 & Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM

4. Group Calendaring server

5. Diamond Stealth 64 PCI S3-968 VRAM and XFree86

6. can't compile with mod_auth_ldap

7. Diamond Stealth 64 w/2meg Vram(VLB) and Xfree86 3.1 - Works

8. PPP Permision Problem

9. Diamond Stealth 64 PCI S3-968 VRAM and Xfree86

10. Resolution of a Diamond Stealth 64 (2Mb VRAM) & XFree86-3.1.2

11. Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM & XFree86

12. XFree86 3.3.3.1 and diamond stealth 64 3240 vram

13. : XFree86 3.1.1 and Diamond Stealth 64 PCI VRAM