PCI Sound Card Help

Post by Matthew P. Inge » Sat, 26 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've got a Soundblaster PCI 128 installed on my PC.

sndconfig seems to pick up the right card, but when it tries to play a
sound, it always
says it's busy.  Has anyone else had any luck getting this to work.
Could it be that I
need to compile sound into the kernel?  How can I tell if it already has
been?

In any case, any and all help would be appreciated (the stuff I found on
linux.org and
supplementary links did not help).

please send comments by email as well.

Matt Inger

1. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

I actually got pretty far into this, but can't make a peep come out of the
speakers (I just had a horrible thought - speakers are plugged in and turned
on).

Got ALSA Drivers, utilities, and library files, did standard configure, make,
make install for each.
In a console window under KDE, did the following:
1. insmod soundcore - got nothing back, so I assume that worked.
2. ran the snddevices script - it happily reported making a ton of devices.
3. Edited my etc/modules.conf to the following

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-es1938
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

4. ran modprobe snd-card-es1938 - got nothing back, so I assume that worked as
well.

5. I tried a couple of the tools available under the "multimedia" option of the
KDE menu - none of them can access the output dev. I tried the chmod, still no
joy. When I run /utils/alsasound start, it reports that the driver is already
running. I postulate that may be so, but would like to confirm my hypothesis by
actually hearing something from the speakers. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

2. RIP afpfs

3. PCI Yamaha Sound Card (Xwave Direct 192 PCI) Help o : )

4. IP_MASQUERADE bugs ?

5. how to get unixware v7 recognize pci modem and pci sound card??

6. Why Linux is popular

7. Linux , PCI sound cards, Zoom PCI pnp Modems

8. Can't access printer, help!

9. Need sound driver RH5.2 using S3 sonicVibes PCI sound card

10. Sound: PCI sound card problems...

11. Newbie Help S3 PCI SonicVibes Sound Card

12. Looking for help setting up no-name PCI sound card

13. PCI sound card NEED HELP!!!