Null-modem connection to my linux box

Post by FIS/P-Sj » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have this linux-box, running Slackware 3.0.0 with the disrtibuted
non-scsi kernel.
AND I have this laptop with win95.
AND I have a null modem cable.........

Is it possible to connect from the laptop to the Linux ....

I thought ppp connection, but theres no modem in a nullmodem cable, so
win95 doesn like it...

Have anyone figured something out ???

Morten

Null-modem connection to my linux box

Post by Tomas Halvarss » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have this linux-box, running Slackware 3.0.0 with the disrtibuted
>non-scsi kernel.
>AND I have this laptop with win95.
>AND I have a null modem cable.........
>Is it possible to connect from the laptop to the Linux ....
>I thought ppp connection, but theres no modem in a nullmodem cable, so
>win95 doesn like it...
>Have anyone figured something out ???

Yes.
Use a terminal emulator (like the Winterm program in 3.1) to connect to your
linux box. Take a look at the linux serial-HOWTO for detailed instructions.
A link to a link to that document can be found on my link pages, under the
computers...linux section,
http://www.cs.umu.se/~c95thn/links/computer.html#linux

Good luck!

/Tomas Halvarsson

"Only the paranoid survive"

www:    http://www.pobox.com/~psycho

Student at the Department of Computing Science, Umea University, Sweden

:
: Is it possible to connect from the laptop to the Linux ....
:
: I thought ppp connection, but theres no modem in a nullmodem cable, so
: win95 doesn like it...
:
:
: Have anyone figured something out ???
:
:
: Morten

Use the chat utility on the linux end to emulate the modem that
win95 wants to see.

Post by Uwe Bonne » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: I have this linux-box, running Slackware 3.0.0 with the disrtibuted
: non-scsi kernel.
: AND I have this laptop with win95.
: AND I have a null modem cable.........

: Is it possible to connect from the laptop to the Linux ....

: I thought ppp connection, but theres no modem in a nullmodem cable, so
: win95 doesn like it...

: Have anyone figured something out ???

 http://www.vt.edu:10021/K/kewells/net/
has a Win95 Null Modem driver. I connected Win95 with this driver successfully to Linux.

Null-modem connection to my linux box

Post by Rich Dubraws » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have run a null modem connection between my linux box and my roommates win
3.11.  VT100 mode works easily, we are still working out the issues with ppp,
but linux doesn't care if the connection is via a modem or direct over a
cable.  Check out the documentation on ppp (HOWTO, faq, man page) and play a
bit.  We are looking at doing it be logging in via the terminal using trumpet
then issueing the exec pppd  command from there.  There are many parameters
that need to be pased to pppd, so that line alone won't work.
good luck ;-)

>: I have this linux-box, running Slackware 3.0.0 with the disrtibuted
>: non-scsi kernel.
>: AND I have this laptop with win95.
>: AND I have a null modem cable.........

>: Is it possible to connect from the laptop to the Linux ....

>: I thought ppp connection, but theres no modem in a nullmodem cable, so
>: win95 doesn like it...

>: Have anyone figured something out ???

> http://www.vt.edu:10021/K/kewells/net/
>has a Win95 Null Modem driver. I connected Win95 with this driver successfully
> to Linux.

Richard Dubrawski

safety".
          Historical Review of Pennsylvania.
                Benjamin Franklin

1. Linux/Win95 to Linux Box Via Null-Modem, then to Internet

Dear all who care:

I actually pulled it off. After about 2 months of research and various
failures, I finally did it. I have two computers, connected with a null
modem cable, and I've been able to connect both to the 'Net via
IP Masquerading. Just thought you should know. If you have any questions
on how to do something like this, let me know. I'll try to be as helpful
as i can. . . .

Just though You should know,

Norman

2. evaluation release of WebDish 3.1

3. ISP connection sharing via a PPP connection with NULL-MODEM

4. Change passwd via script

5. null-modem SLIP between two linux boxes

6. Disk I/O Benchmarks

7. ???---Script for Winsock via null-modem to linux box---???

8. Adaptec AIC-7870 Integrated PCI SCSI H/D Controller slakware 3.0

9. Linking linux boxes via null-modem cable

10. Help cslip doesn't work with 2 linux boxes and null-modem

11. Null-modem between Win95 adn Linux boxes

12. Booting Linux on Sparc Classic using Null-Modem Connection for Console.