Linux Hardware Driver for HP7550a plotter?

Linux Hardware Driver for HP7550a plotter?

Post by p.. » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

 I am looking for a  Linux Hardware Driver (printer server)  for a
HP7550a plotter.  I have searched the HP site for one without success. I
have also searched Deja but have not been able to come up with anything.
Will appreciate hearing form anyone who has configured this plotter
in Unix or Linux.

Thanks.

--
Kathy Bilton
http://www.fred.net/kathy/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by rsimp.. » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

:  I am looking for a  Linux Hardware Driver (printer server)  for a
: HP7550a plotter.  I have searched the HP site for one without success. I
: have also searched Deja but have not been able to come up with anything.
: Will appreciate hearing form anyone who has configured this plotter
: in Unix or Linux.

I used to use our 7550 with a SPARCstation.  IIRC it has a serial port
and an HPIB port.  It seems to me that under Linux you don't need any
particular printer driver.  Just connect it to a serial port and
configure printcap to treat that port as a serial ASCII only printer.

You should then be able to send it HPGL without any problem.  This
was basically what I did under SunOS, but I admit that I haven't tried
it under Linux.

Of course, if what you actually want it to do is act as a printer so
that you can just send it ASCII or (heaven help us) Postscript and
have some software translate that into HPGL then you may well be out of luck.
I am not aware of any code which will let you do that.

--
Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118

I am not aware of any views shared by myself and my employers.