Diamond Viper V330: screen garbage

Post by Eric Buddingt » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I think that the following is a hardware problem, but wanted to check
if any kind soul recognizes the symptoms.

Diamond Viper V330 AGP, 4Mb
FIC 2013, 1 Mb, 100Mhz bus
128 Mb PC100 RAM
AMD K6-300, running at 200 (need to get thermal paste :)

At first, it booted up fine in text mode, but I couldn't get X to work
(because I hadn't done my homework, and guessed wrong at the X
server).

Several days later, I came in to work, compiled a new kernel, and
rebooted. When the BIOS screen (EnergyStar logo, memory check, BIOS
ID, etc) appeared, there was an almost-regular grid of 1-pizel dots on
the screen, which never disappeared.

'vidmode bzImage 6' on the kernel + reboot gave me the same thing,
with a slightly sparser grid of dots.

I thought the video card may have gotten stuck in a bad state, so I
yanked the card and reseated it (to ensure power loss to the card),
got the latest SVGA servre (from xfree86.org) and tried to start it,
but got pure garbage on the screen that wouldn't go away when the X
server was killed. A reboot got me back to the grid of white dots.

A different monitor gave me the same results.

Diamond tech support told me to fiddle with PCI bursting, which I did
to no avail, and to ensure that my BIOS was recent enough,. which it
is.

Paragon, despite their good ratings, is absolutely lousy on
accessibility (tech support line is busy during on-hours, and just
rings after 3:00), so I can't get an RMA number yet. So for now, it's
running as a monitorless workstation (Kudos to the kernel devel folks
for making this possible!)

Any clues appreciated.

Eric Buddington

Post by Andrew Leah » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I think that the following is a hardware problem, but wanted to check
> if any kind soul recognizes the symptoms.

> Diamond Viper V330 AGP, 4Mb
> FIC 2013, 1 Mb, 100Mhz bus
> 128 Mb PC100 RAM
> AMD K6-300, running at 200 (need to get thermal paste :)

> At first, it booted up fine in text mode, but I couldn't get X to work
> (because I hadn't done my homework, and guessed wrong at the X
> server).

> Several days later, I came in to work, compiled a new kernel, and
> rebooted. When the BIOS screen (EnergyStar logo, memory check, BIOS
> ID, etc) appeared, there was an almost-regular grid of 1-pizel dots on
> the screen, which never disappeared.

Are you running the K6 at 100Mhz?  I thought you needed a K6-2 to do
that?  You might want to clock your memory speed down to 66Mhz and see
what happens.

In any event, I'm running a nearly identical set-up (K6-2 and a FIC
VA-503+) and things are working fine.  I'd guess hardware problems too.

Andrew Leahy

Post by Troy Arnol » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

- I think that the following is a hardware problem, but wanted to check
- if any kind soul recognizes the symptoms.

- Diamond Viper V330 AGP, 4Mb
- FIC 2013, 1 Mb, 100Mhz bus
- 128 Mb PC100 RAM
- AMD K6-300, running at 200 (need to get thermal paste :)

- rebooted. When the BIOS screen (EnergyStar logo, memory check, BIOS
- ID, etc) appeared, there was an almost-regular grid of 1-pizel dots on
- the screen, which never disappeared.

Hi -

I'm running a similiar setup. viper 330, AGP, va503+, k6-2 333 o/c to 350 The
first day or two, i had the very same symptoms - intermittently i'd see a
grid of dots...

In my case, it WAS a seating problem.  Took the card out, reseated it,
worked fine for awhile then the dots came back.  Ended up reseating the card
with the non-connector (outside) side slightly raised and really cranking
down on the screw.  No probs since.

good luck.

-t

1. Diamond viper V330 and screen resolution

Hello.

I installed a red hat distribution of linux (6.1) and at some point I was
asked to choose a screen resolution under X. Well, I could not pass the test
for a resolution higher than    640x480. Since I've got a 21'' screen it's a
bit enoying.

Does someone know how to change that ?
( I've got gnome and a diamond viper V330 card )

tanx.

stef

2. DOSEMU and System.map

3. Diamond Viper V330 agp

4. Make errors

5. Diamond Viper V330 PCI

6. Linux as a simple file sharing device?

7. Where can i get a driver for Diamond Viper v330 Agp

8. diskcopy / dupdisk

9. Diamond Viper V330 PCI

10. Diamond Viper V330

11. Diamond Viper V330 and XFree86

12. Help: Setting Up X windows with Diamond Viper V330 AGP Video Card.