3Ware 6410 RAID Card and SMP?

Post by Scott Olso » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 22:55:58

Hello, all.

     I've got a 3Ware 6410 on order that I'm planning on installing in my
RedHat 7.1 SMP box.  Any particular gotcha's I should be aware of, or
should it be a (relatively) painless install?  Planning on running in
RAID 10 mode, at least to start with.

                                Scott

3Ware 6410 RAID Card and SMP?

Post by Matt Kin » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 01:41:11

Quote:> Hello, all.

>      I've got a 3Ware 6410 on order that I'm planning on installing in my
> RedHat 7.1 SMP box.  Any particular gotcha's I should be aware of, or
> should it be a (relatively) painless install?  Planning on running in
> RAID 10 mode, at least to start with.

> Scott

I have a 6400 on a SMP machine running 7.1, seems to run just fine!  I can
see all the drives I've created and it's fast! ; )

-- Matt

1. FreeBSD 4.3 and 3Ware Escalade 6410

Installing a 3Ware Escalade 6410 into a KT7 Turbo Pro (MSI), 900 Mhz
AMD Duron server.  Two 20 Gig Fujitsu hard drives.  3Ware BIOS (ALT-3)
shows that I have one array defined containing 2 IDE drives.

Then I installed FreeBSD 4.3 from CD.  During the initial GENERIC
kernel, the card was immediately recognized, (twed0).  Installation
went fine.  Then I rebooted (for the first time), and again, the 3Ware
BIOS message came up showing 1 array contained 2 drives (0 and 1), and
stating to press ALT-3 to access the 3Ware BIOS.  A few seconds later,
it goes thru the motherboard BIOS, gets to "Verifying DMI Pool
Data......Update Success"   ... Then locks up completely.

The motherboard BIOS shows that the First Boot Device as SCSI (I
believe this is correct, but have also tried HDD-0).  It would seem
that the 3Ware card is not bootable... I've talked to 3Ware Tech
Support, and they had me flash rom the bios on their card.  This
didn't change anything, the system still locks up at the same place.
3Ware tech support now states that I should try a different
motherboard (although they claim the one I have has been tested and
was found to be compatible).

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this, and can enlighten me as
to what I might have missed.

Thanks.

Peter Elsner

2. SMC 83c170 seems to lag

3. 3Ware 6410 password & FS problem

4. How to install X-window on Microsoft Windows?

5. Problem configuring Alliance Promotion 6410 Card in Xwindows

6. setenv

7. Configure X with Promotion 6410 Display Card

8. logout without executing .logout

9. Driver for Promotion 6410 display card

10. Server for Alliance ProMotion 6410 card?

11. : 3ware IDE RAID cards

12. 3ware 9xxx SATA RAID card?

13. Iomega external USB 80Gb HDD, 3ware RAID CARD... big problems!