Creating Living Room Media device

Post by DoBB » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 01:11:44

Hi,

I have been looking at getting something like the Philips Streamium
http://en.streamium.com/products/sl300i/, enabling me to view pictures and
video onto my TV and stream audio to a hifi living room.

I do have a couple of old PCs (300mhz) I thought I could make use of and
achieve the same thing, while also giving a bit more on a compatability and
capability front. I would like to hear from anyone who knows of a good solid
way of doing this, I am Ok on the hardware side, but have limited exposure
to Linux, but enough to enable me to setup software once I know what will do
the job. It is also imperative this can be controlled via remote control
(whats one more to the pile currently resting on the coffee table?!).

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Post by Miguel De And » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 05:17:32

> Hi,

> I have been looking at getting something like the Philips Streamium
> http://en.streamium.com/products/sl300i/, enabling me to view pictures and
> video onto my TV and stream audio to a hifi living room.

> I do have a couple of old PCs (300mhz) I thought I could make use of and
> achieve the same thing, while also giving a bit more on a compatability and
> capability front. I would like to hear from anyone who knows of a good solid
> way of doing this, I am Ok on the hardware side, but have limited exposure
> to Linux, but enough to enable me to setup software once I know what will do
> the job. It is also imperative this can be controlled via remote control
> (whats one more to the pile currently resting on the coffee table?!).

> Any help is much appreciated.

> Thanks

> Mark

300mhz is probably a bit slow for video. I have a nehemiah 10000 (1ghz)
without video drivers and it sometimes drops frames when watching a dvd
ripped as divx.

As for software, have you looked around? There is mythtv and freevo.
I've played with freevo a little and it wasn't too hard to get rid of
the "tv" related links (since I don't have a tuner on my computer).

If you get a mini-itx board, take a look at freepia.org. They've set up
a full system just for that. I haven't installed it myself, but i'll try
it soon enough.

1. Removable media and Solaris 8 Intel -- Can I create a filesystem directly on a raw device?

I am new to Solaris, at least from an admin perspective.  The Answerbook documentation
on disk administration appears heavily biased toward non-removable devices and CDROMs.
Using the convenient interactive 'format' program, I find that Solaris expects me to
create PC-style fdisk partitions before creating a Solaris disk label and creating
filesystems.  While I understand the necessity of this on a bootable drive, it should
not be necessary on a non-bootable drive.  More importantly, PC-style fdisk partitioning
on removable media will presumably make it incompatible for interchange purposes with
machines running Solaris/SPARC.  Is there any way to skip the PC-style partitioning of
a non-bootable device and place a Solaris disklabel directly on the raw device?
Alternatively, can I create a single filesystem directly on a raw device, as is the
convention for removable media under Linux?

William Maddox
maddox at transmeta dot com

2. Slackware 1.1.2 installation problems

3. Linux to living rooms

4. Need Restricted FTP

5. Xbox meets Linux - Living rooms become war zones - No prisoners taken

6. Hello

7. Making my living room a friendlier place...

8. login errors

9. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code830

10. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code2311

11. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code820

12. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code826

13. Machine room monitoring devices - what's available?