linux and quadra 950

Post by William Rei » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me if there is a version that supports this particular
model. I cannot find one. I also have a Daystar power pro 601-100mhz
upgrade card installed, if there's linux support for that as well...
Thanks

linux and quadra 950

Post by David Huf » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me if there is a version that supports
> this particular model. I cannot find one. I also have a
> Daystar power pro 601-100mhz upgrade card installed, if
> there's linux support for that as well...

The Quadras are NuBus machines, yes ? If so, I believe that your only
option is MkLinux. Check out:

  http://www.mklinux.apple.com/

Regards,
--
    _
 __| |_  David P. Huff           | "Linux: Because reboots

   \_(   Texas Instruments, Inc. |

linux and quadra 950

Post by Shimpei Yamashit » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>> Can anyone tell me if there is a version that supports
>> this particular model. I cannot find one. I also have a
>> Daystar power pro 601-100mhz upgrade card installed, if
>> there's linux support for that as well...

>The Quadras are NuBus machines, yes ? If so, I believe that your only
>option is MkLinux. Check out:

>  http://www.mklinux.apple.com/

Er, no. MkLinux is only for PowerMacs, and that *doesn't* include
68k Macs with PowerPC upgrade cards.

There does exist a Linux for 68k Mac project; its URL was something
like http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/ (probably wrong; I'm offline right
now so I can't check--look for links from www.linux.org). It's been
months since I've checked their status, but they weren't ready for
prime time back then. If you need a more production-ready environment,
try NetBSD at http://www.netbsd.org/; they reportedly have a pretty
good 68k Mac port. Note that neither Linux nor NetBSD has support for
PowerPC upgrade cards.

--
Shimpei Yamashita               <http://www.submm.caltech.edu/%7Eshimpei/>

linux and quadra 950

Post by Neil Steadm » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>> Can anyone tell me if there is a version that supports
>> this particular model. I cannot find one. I also have a
>> Daystar power pro 601-100mhz upgrade card installed, if
>> there's linux support for that as well...

>The Quadras are NuBus machines, yes ? If so, I believe that your only
>option is MkLinux. Check out:

>  http://www.mklinux.apple.com/

The other option is to use A/UX (Apple Unix), which I really liked a few
years ago. Basically you get a Unix machine with a Mac Finder front end.
(Which has an X-client program so you can run X11 in your Mac Finder!).
Shame it didn't get more users really.

--
How many shopping days till Xmas?

1. openbsd and Quadra 950

Hi I am interested in installing this onto a Quadra 950, but in my
research there is no version that supports this particular model. Can
anyone shed some light on this..? Also I have a Daystar powerpro
601-100mhz upgrade card installed into this machine, that I also cannot
find out if there is any Linux support for.

Thanks

2. Problem with pppd

3. Quadra 950 + PPC card

4. running tcp/ip ports

5. OpenBSD on Mac Quadra 950?

6. video card suggestion wanted

7. OpenBSD doesn't work on a Mac Quadra 950?

8. USB Scanners

9. Linux on Power PC 950 200mhz/64 meg/2 gig hd

10. Does Linux Support Future Domain 9C50/950 cards?

11. Can linux "see" Future domain 950 SCSI

12. Help fd tmc-950

13. Furute Domain 950 8 bit SCSI problems with install