reading solaris DAT tar under linux

Post by char.. » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I save two files (one 600 MB and one 51 B) using tar on a DAT/DDS1 under
a Sun/Solaris computer and try to read this DAT with the same DDS drive
on my linux 2.2.9 box.

I can read the first file, but this file is corrupted and no second file
... (the second file is the md5sum of the first, this explain the
size...)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

reading solaris DAT tar under linux

Post by char.. » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I write two files (one 600 MB and a small one with the md5sum of the
previous file) on a DDS1/DAT on solaris using tar.

With the same DDS1 drive, I try to read the tape, but I'm only able to
read the first file and the md5sum is not the good one.

did I doing something wrong ???

p Charton

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

reading solaris DAT tar under linux

Post by Peter Hil » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I save two files (one 600 MB and one 51 B) using tar on a DAT/DDS1 under
>a Sun/Solaris computer and try to read this DAT with the same DDS drive
>on my linux 2.2.9 box.

>I can read the first file, but this file is corrupted and no second file
>... (the second file is the md5sum of the first, this explain the
>size...)

The problem is with the block size - a common problem.

        Use the command -

        mt -f /dev/st0 setblk 0

        BEFORE attempting to read the tape.

Then use the tar or cpio command (or whatever) to read the tape.

Peter
--
Peter Hill