I need help getting linux to recognize my CD-ROM

I need help getting linux to recognize my CD-ROM

Post by Kim Robinso » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Verify that your CDROM is properly identified as a block device by doing an
ls -l  (on /dev/hdc) and checking to make sure that the first letter in the
file "permissions" is b.  I have received the "invalid block device" error
if I do not actually have a disk or cd in the drive when I attempted to
mount it.

Additionally, ensure that you have a link pointing from /dev/cdrom to your
/dev/hdc and check that your file permissions are set up properly.  (I am
assuming that you installed Linux from this CD ROM, and you are certain that
it works.)

Kim

>If anyone reading this is linux savvy, Please help. I recently installed

>Mandrake 7.0 on my machine (kernel 2.2.4) However I am having some
>difficulty mounting  my CD ROM.  I have my hard drive on the primary as
>master, and my CD ROM on the secondary as master. The installation
>assigned  /dev/cdrom  (/dev/hdc) as the device, and /mnt/cdrom as the
>mount point. During bootup I get an error message which tells me that
>hdc is not a valid block device. If I try to mount it manually during a
>session, or access it, I get an error that says device not found, or
>access denied.  Logged in as root, I know that  access really isn't
>denied. So how can I go about getting Linux to recognize my drive?

>Your help is greatly appreciated.

>Linux newbie,
>Erik

1. I need help getting linux to recognize my CD-ROM

If anyone reading this is linux savvy, Please help. I recently installed

Mandrake 7.0 on my machine (kernel 2.2.4) However I am having some
difficulty mounting  my CD ROM.  I have my hard drive on the primary as
master, and my CD ROM on the secondary as master. The installation
assigned  /dev/cdrom  (/dev/hdc) as the device, and /mnt/cdrom as the
mount point. During bootup I get an error message which tells me that
hdc is not a valid block device. If I try to mount it manually during a
session, or access it, I get an error that says device not found, or
access denied.  Logged in as root, I know that  access really isn't
denied. So how can I go about getting Linux to recognize my drive?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Linux newbie,
Erik

2. RedHat Secure Server, make testcert fails

3. Need help getting Acer CD-525E CD-Rom drive to work

4. Ygg. F94 install - x hosed

6. Installing Web Server on Linux

7. Need help getting Linux to recognize Chinon CDS-545i 4X CDROM

8. Crazy CGI file-calling behavior by Apache...

9. Getting system to recognize my IDE CD-ROM

10. Problems getting CD-ROM to be recognized

11. HELP: Need to Getting the CD-Rom Working

12. Need help getting Red Hat 5.1 to see my SCSI CD-ROM

13. Help - RH Linux doesn't recognize my CD-ROM