Good Cheap SCSI for Linux

Post by V. Tony Jon » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:26:53

I'm trying to build a decent system for multi-track audio recording
using Ardour or Audacity.

I'm in the market for a good cheap SCSI controller and drive to
run under Debian with a 2.4.27 or 2.6.x kernel.  Support for two
drives would be nice, but not necessary.

The drive(s) don't need to be huge, as I can archive to CD.

I would appreciate any recommendations or advice.  I've never used
SCSI hardware before.

Thanks,

Toney

Good Cheap SCSI for Linux

Post by Michael Perr » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:43:19

Quote:> I'm trying to build a decent system for multi-track audio recording
> using Ardour or Audacity.

> I'm in the market for a good cheap SCSI controller and drive to
> run under Debian with a 2.4.27 or 2.6.x kernel.  Support for two
> drives would be nice, but not necessary.

> The drive(s) don't need to be huge, as I can archive to CD.

> I would appreciate any recommendations or advice.  I've never used
> SCSI hardware before.

> Thanks,

> Toney

I'm still using adaptec 2940s and I have a new 29160 scsi controller on my
server which does backup to an ecrix, a scsi cdrw, and a 160g cheetah
10,000rpm drive.  These have worked flawlessly with both 2.4 and 2.6
kernels for me over the years.  I don't have any particular "new needs"
so the 2940 series just does what I need.

I think you can find boatloads of 2940s and 29160s on ebay or other
places for good costs these days.

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Good Cheap SCSI for Linux

Post by Alle » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:36:57

>> I'm trying to build a decent system for multi-track audio recording
>> using Ardour or Audacity.

>> I'm in the market for a good cheap SCSI controller and drive to
>> run under Debian with a 2.4.27 or 2.6.x kernel.  Support for two
>> drives would be nice, but not necessary.

>> The drive(s) don't need to be huge, as I can archive to CD.

>> I would appreciate any recommendations or advice.  I've never used
>> SCSI hardware before.

>> Thanks,

>> Toney

> I'm still using adaptec 2940s and I have a new 29160 scsi controller on my
> server which does backup to an ecrix, a scsi cdrw, and a 160g cheetah
> 10,000rpm drive.  These have worked flawlessly with both 2.4 and 2.6
> kernels for me over the years.  I don't have any particular "new needs"
> so the 2940 series just does what I need.

> I think you can find boatloads of 2940s and 29160s on ebay or other
> places for good costs these days.

LSI U160 cards are good for 32-bit PCI, too.
http://www.computergiants.com/items/one_item.asp?part=68289&aff=2

Good Cheap SCSI for Linux

Post by RĂ¼diger Wenze » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:29:54

>> I'm trying to build a decent system for multi-track audio recording
>> using Ardour or Audacity.

>> I'm in the market for a good cheap SCSI controller and drive to
>> run under Debian with a 2.4.27 or 2.6.x kernel.  Support for two
>> drives would be nice, but not necessary.

>> The drive(s) don't need to be huge, as I can archive to CD.

>> I would appreciate any recommendations or advice.  I've never used
>> SCSI hardware before.

>> Thanks,

>> Toney

> I'm still using adaptec 2940s and I have a new 29160 scsi controller on my
> server which does backup to an ecrix, a scsi cdrw, and a 160g cheetah
> 10,000rpm drive.  These have worked flawlessly with both 2.4 and 2.6
> kernels for me over the years.  I don't have any particular "new needs"
> so the 2940 series just does what I need.

> I think you can find boatloads of 2940s and 29160s on ebay or other
> places for good costs these days.

Adaptec AHA 2490 U2W works perfectly with kernel 2.6.8 in SuSE 9.2 in my
box. An card with LSI-Chip Sym53c895 (Dawi DC-2980 U2W) wasn't supported
with kernel 2.6.x, so I had to change to the Adaptec.

Good luck!
--
Rdiger

Good Cheap SCSI for Linux

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:23:52

> LSI U160 cards are good for 32-bit PCI, too.

Remember that 32-bit/33MHz PCI has a maximum theortical transfer rate
(shared by all devices on the bus) of 132 MB/sec compared to the 160
MB/sec of U160 SCSI.  If you want full performance of you U160 channel,
it needs a better PCI bus.  There are some designs that even go so far
as to put *two* U160 channels on 32-bit/33MHz PCI, really crippling
performance.  Stay away from those if top performance is what you're after.

1. Any good'n'cheap SCSI Card for Linux?

Hi there!

It looks like everything is going to SCSI, so I might consider getting
one. Of course, it would have to run under my Linux (BTW, is 2.0.32
kernel OK with SCSI? should I upgrade to 2.0.34?)

Any recomendations?

Which one has a good performance and a decent price ? (let's face it,
I'm not a rich man)

I will appreciate any advice!

Sinner from the Prairy
(Countdown to make the ISDN card work under Linux has begun....)

2. Linux on HP/Pavilion zv5000

3. Good cheap SCSI-2 (FAST) PCI card (w/Linux of course)

4. why sshd is running under root ?

5. Good Cheap SCSI Tape Backup?

6. How to SENDMAIL backed up messages from alt-DIRECTORY?

7. Cheap but good SCSI card?

8. BX motherboards with on-board SCSI

9. Cheap/Good SCSI Controller, sub $100?

10. Good Linux Books - Cheap (was - I need Linux for Morons

11. Cheap SCSI disks for Cheap Sun's?

12. Cheap 10/100 NIC with good Linux support?

13. Good cheap modem for linux