Advansys SCSI controllers

Post by Chris Liddel » Fri, 14 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

I've been looking at SCSI controllers as a near-future upgrade for my PC. I

noticed AdvanSys are doing what look like well specified cards. The trouble

is, they are very cheap compared to Adaptec and Buslogic, and that makes me

a bit suspicious.

So, anyone used these cards? What are the pitfalls (if any), and what
corners (if any) have been cut on these cards? Lastly, if any Advansys
cards
get a thumbs-up, which model?

TIA

Chris Liddell

Advansys SCSI controllers

Post by JaM » Fri, 14 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hello everyone,

> I've been looking at SCSI controllers as a near-future upgrade for my PC. I

> noticed AdvanSys are doing what look like well specified cards. The trouble

> is, they are very cheap compared to Adaptec and Buslogic, and that makes me

> a bit suspicious.

> So, anyone used these cards? What are the pitfalls (if any), and what
> corners (if any) have been cut on these cards? Lastly, if any Advansys
> cards
> get a thumbs-up, which model?

> TIA

> Chris Liddell

I'm using the SIIG Ultra SCSI card in my system.  It's an advansys ultra
scsi card with a SIIG label.  I haven't had a single problem with it.
performance is great.  The only downfall is that the card will NOT boot
the scsi drive if there is an ide drive installed (aside from a cdrom).
Though this could be due to the SIIG BIOS, the advansys BIOS may be
different.

Just my $0.02

Jammey

Advansys SCSI controllers

Post by Tim Henstoc » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hello everyone,

> I've been looking at SCSI controllers as a near-future upgrade for my PC. I
> noticed AdvanSys are doing what look like well specified cards. The trouble
> is, they are very cheap compared to Adaptec and Buslogic, and that makes me
> a bit suspicious.

> So, anyone used these cards? What are the pitfalls (if any), and what
> corners (if any) have been cut on these cards? Lastly, if any Advansys
> cards
> get a thumbs-up, which model?

> TIA

> Chris Liddell

I have used an Advansys 940U (~$110) for 3 months now with no problems.
I dont boot from it (I find floppy just as convenient
and more reversable), although that should be possible it may
require adjustment of the system BIOS if you have an EIDE drive.
Note that Advansys wrote the Linux driver that is in the standard
distribution, claim Linux support, and even have a specific
page on their site http://www.advansys.com/linux
For some reason they don't get as much publicity on the
newsgroups as the other SCSI adapter manufacturers - I don't
have a cross reference to know whether there is any performance
difference from say the Buslogic busmastering cards which are
significantly more expensive. For my purposes - basic software
development and maintaining a Unix-like platform at home to
duplicate the stuff in the lab - it works fine.

Tim Henstock

Advansys SCSI controllers

Post by Bob Johns » Sun, 16 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello everyone,

> I've been looking at SCSI controllers as a near-future upgrade for my PC. I

> noticed AdvanSys are doing what look like well specified cards. The trouble

> is, they are very cheap compared to Adaptec and Buslogic, and that makes me

> a bit suspicious.

> So, anyone used these cards? What are the pitfalls (if any), and what
> corners (if any) have been cut on these cards? Lastly, if any Advansys
> cards
> get a thumbs-up, which model?

> TIA

> Chris Liddell

I've been using an Advansys ABP940 for two years now. Excellent Linux
driver support, and no problems whatsoever.
--
                                         ...Bob Johnson

     *** LINUX/GNU - The Choice of a Gnu Generation ***

Advansys SCSI controllers

Post by david parso » Sun, 16 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>Hello everyone,

>I've been looking at SCSI controllers as a near-future upgrade for my PC. I
>noticed AdvanSys are doing what look like well specified cards. The trouble
>is, they are very cheap compared to Adaptec and Buslogic, and that makes me
>a bit suspicious.

   They work fine.

   I'm a mainly BusLogic shop, but I've got a pair of Advansys 930s in a
   CD burning machine (Linux/Win95) and my distribution build machine
   (Linux only) and have been quite happy with them.  I'd rate them very
   close to BusLogic, and I'd certainly recommend them over a NCR 53C8xx
   chipset, because Advansys supports Linux.

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ Adaptecs, on the other hand, wouldn't be worth it if
                  \/                                        they were free.

Advansys SCSI controllers

Post by Michel Roelo » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: Hello everyone,

: I've been looking at SCSI controllers as a near-future upgrade for my PC. I

: noticed AdvanSys are doing what look like well specified cards. The trouble

: is, they are very cheap compared to Adaptec and Buslogic, and that makes me

: a bit suspicious.

: So, anyone used these cards? What are the pitfalls (if any), and what
: corners (if any) have been cut on these cards? Lastly, if any Advansys
: cards
: get a thumbs-up, which model?

: TIA

Hello,

I got an Advansys OEM which was part of a cd-writer kit. I use it in a 386
with a Quantum Fireball disk, and I'm very happy with it. It's very fast,
and I can boot from the SCSI-disk. It's been running for over 60 days
continuously in a little fileserver.

: Chris Liddell

Michel