RIVA128 RH5 X Windows - X Server

Post by Joff » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've just got the RH 5 Linux version.
The Riva128 chip is not supported by default, but i downloaded the drivers from
XSuSE.
I TAR'ed them as the instructions says...
i run Xconfigurator and / or xf86config but i get the no x server installed or
something like that.....
What do I do??

And how the heck do i edit a file? eg.. what is the command?

Thnx
Joffer

Post by jeff » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I've just got the RH 5 Linux version.
> The Riva128 chip is not supported by default, but i downloaded the drivers from
> XSuSE.
> I TAR'ed them as the instructions says...
> i run Xconfigurator and / or xf86config but i get the no x server installed or
> something like that.....
> What do I do??

> And how the heck do i edit a file? eg.. what is the command?

> Thnx
> Joffer

Bummer. Go to /usr/X11R6/bin or wherever RH keeps the X binaries.
do ls -l. You will see that there is a symbolic link from X to some
server prpgram. When you installed the SuSe server, you probably did not
link X to it, but left the link to the original server in place, or
perhaps did not even install one with RedHat. Remove the link and point
it to the SuSe server.
Your xconfig file generally gets written to /etc/X11/Xconfig, unless
RedHat
puts it in /var or something. It is probably unwise to edit this
yourself manually unless you know what you are doing. Use the xconfig
program from SuSe, it contains the database listing your cards vital
statistics.
               Good luck

RIVA128 RH5 X Windows - X Server

Post by Robert Casti » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I've just got the RH 5 Linux version.
> The Riva128 chip is not supported by default, but i downloaded the drivers from
> XSuSE.
> I TAR'ed them as the instructions says...
> i run Xconfigurator and / or xf86config but i get the no x server installed or
> something like that.....
> What do I do??

You should have installed the xf86config which comes with the XSuSE this
will offer you the option of your RIVA card and install the symlinks.
Maybe the locations oforthe files are different for RH, but I don't think
so. Just read and follow the instructions on the screen(!).

Quote:> And how the heck do i edit a file? eg.. what is the command?

Type vi, joe, pico, emacs on your command line then go out and buy
yourself a unix (Linux) book!!

Cheers
        Robert

1. RIVA128 RH5 X-Server X-Windows

I've just got the RH 5 Linux version.
The Riva128 chip is not supported by default, but i downloaded the drivers from
XSuSE.
I TAR'ed them as the instructions says...
i run Xconfigurator and / or xf86config but i get the no x server installed or
something like that.....
What do I do??

And how the heck do i edit a file? eg.. what is the command?

Thnx
Joffer

2. How do I "beep" in telnet window?

3. Suse RIVA128 server w/ RH5.0

4. Linux "virus" infection

5. RIVA128 - X server - X windows

6. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 3 of 3)

7. Linux RIVA128 Xconfigurator GUIDE v1.4.1 - get your RIVA128 based card to work with X!!

8. Does anyone care about UID mapping on Solaris?

9. connect windows 9X to the Linux Server (RH5.2)

10. RIVA128 Linux X-Windows Configuration Guide

11. X Windows, Riva128

12. X windows flicker with Diamond viper 330 (riva128)