USB Mouse

Post by Arun Horn » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 08:18:45

I'm trying to install Slackware 8.0 on my computer. I can complete the
install but my mouse just won't work (USB Microsoft one). I've rebuilt the
kernel with usb support and the USB hub works fine, the light even comes on
on my mouse and if i view /var/log/messages I see record of  the mouse being
unplugged and replugged and it gets assigned a device number... its just my
/dev/mouse pointer is not pointing to it... how do I find out which
/dev(ice) my mouse has been assigned to.

Notably during Slackware setup I tell it my mouse is USB. However I can't
use the USB boot disk as I have to use the ata100.i one just to get it to
recognise my HPT370 IDE controller. So after installing I rebuild the kernel
and the light comes on on the mouse and I can register it plugging and
unplugging but no device (?) and certainly not /dev/mouse corresponds to it
.. when I try to 'startx' it crashes out saying no core pointing device.

Someone please help...
Thanks in advance
Arun

--
To reply replace the words NO and SPAM in my address. Thanks.

USB Mouse

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:49:23

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:18:45 -0000, Arun Horne staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> I'm trying to install Slackware 8.0 on my computer. I can complete the
> install but my mouse just won't work (USB Microsoft one). I've rebuilt
> the kernel with usb support and the USB hub works fine, the light even
> comes on on my mouse and if i view /var/log/messages I see record of
> the mouse being unplugged and replugged and it gets assigned a device
> number... its just my /dev/mouse pointer is not pointing to it... how
> do I find out which /dev(ice) my mouse has been assigned to.

USB mice are typically on /dev/usbmouse or /dev/input/mice .  You should
have the usbcore, usb-uhci or usb-ohci, input, and hid modules loaded.

Quote:> Someone please help...

Slackware does not hold your hand very much at all, meaning you need to
help yourself in many cases.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

USB Mouse

Post by mirc » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 01:26:01

Try to check out the documentation in the kernel src path, you should
find something like input.txt in a   "serial" or "usb" subdirectory
( try:  "find /usr/src/linux |grep *input* ")

Post by Chris Elvidg » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:42:01

> I'm trying to install Slackware 8.0 on my computer. I can complete the
> install but my mouse just won't work (USB Microsoft one). I've rebuilt the
> kernel with usb support and the USB hub works fine, the light even comes on
> on my mouse and if i view /var/log/messages I see record of  the mouse being
> unplugged and replugged and it gets assigned a device number... its just my
> /dev/mouse pointer is not pointing to it... how do I find out which
> /dev(ice) my mouse has been assigned to.

1) create /dev/input/mice
crw-r--r--   1 root     root      13,  63 Nov 28 12:50 mice

2) Add to rc.modules
# USB modules
#
modprobe usbcore
modprobe usb-uhci
modprobe usb-storage
modprobe input
modprobe hid
modprobe mousedev

3) RTFM - see http://www.linux-usb.org

HIH
#

--
Chris Elvidge

1. SuSE on Mac/Help with configuring Laserprinter, USB ports and USB mouse

I just installed SuSE linux on my Mac and I'm fairly happy with the way it
works although it is a little slow.  I did the full install.  If I reinstall
with only the packages that I want will it run faster?

Also, I have yet figured out how to enable a Laserprinter, my USB mouse and
USB card.  I have a LaserSelect360 hooked up to a Dayna Appletalk to
Ethernet router and that is hook up to the ethernet port on my Mac.  I was
running the ethernet to a hub where my DSL came in.  I have a G3 PowerMac
with a G4 CPU upgrade and a PCI 4 port NuBus card.  Not sure off hand what
the brand of the card is.  I have a logicTech two button mouse with a
mousewheel hooked up to the USB port.  I had to go out and buy a ADB mouse
during installation because the USB mouse wouldn't work.

Any help in setting up the system to use the USB card and mouse as well as
the LaserPrinter.

How about optimizing the system for speed.  Should I remove packages to
streamline the system and maybe get a little better performance.

Finally, when I log in as root the Gnome Window environment gives me a error
concerning gpm, the file browser, a segmentation error.  However, if I
launch gpm in the pull up windows in Superuser mode it launches and runs.
Any suggestions to get by that problem.  I haven't tried logging in as
something other than root and trying it.

--
Stephen Douglas Scotti, M.D.
164 Commonwealth Avenue

2. NIC destroyed when I unplug cable

3. Apple USB mouse w/Orange Micro PCI USB/Firewire card wont work!

4. kjournald won't startup on compact flash disk Celron system

5. USB Mouse and KB stop responding when using USB Plus ServSwitch

6. Compaq Prosignia VS and NCR 710 SCSI

7. Interesting USB problem: attaching a stupid usb mouse to Pro Keyboard

8. StarOffice Registration from Win95 Partition

9. Free - to a USB driver hacker, 3-button Winfast USB mouse

10. USB Mouse and PS/2 Mouse under X

11. Determining whether USB mouse is plugged in ./ Using two mice

12. Telling if USB mouse is plugged in / Using two mice

13. USB mouse + SMP == Broken mouse?