How can I use power off on shutdown with my DFI K6-XV3+ - mainboard?

How can I use power off on shutdown with my DFI K6-XV3+ - mainboard?

Post by Malte Mürk?st » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

With the APM being compiled into the kernel 2.2.10 I get the
message "/sbin/init.d/rc: line 83   :466 segmentation fault $i start".
With my old mainboard there was no problem shutting the system down.
The configuration has not changed since.

What could that be?

Every hint is welcome!

Malte

How can I use power off on shutdown with my DFI K6-XV3+ - mainboard?

Post by Michael Hofman » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have been trying to answer this question for quite a while now. I'm
having the same problem on a Tyan board / Award BIOS / kernel 2.2.5.
Seems nobody really knows what to do about this, since I didn't get a
single answer to the relating post.
What I have found out so far (thanks to Stephen Rothwell, APM
maintainer), is that presumably the BIOS does not switch the CPU into
real mode, which it should. There is supposed to be a kernel patch that
does exactly this, but I have not been able to locate it to date. I also
haven't got any answer on my post on how to find this patch, or any
specifc patch whatsoever.....
Someday the sun will shine.

I know this doesn't really help, but it gives you a hint as to where the
general direction is.

Michael

> Hi!

> With the APM being compiled into the kernel 2.2.10 I get the
> message "/sbin/init.d/rc: line 83   :466 segmentation fault $i start".
> With my old mainboard there was no problem shutting the system down.
> The configuration has not changed since.

> What could that be?

> Every hint is welcome!

> Malte

1. RH 7.2 Power Management, power-off on shutdown?

Hi,

I  am using  an SMP  machine  (Tyan 1836  dual uprocessors).  Previous
versions of  RH allowed me  to power-off the machine  during shutdown,
but  I  am  not  able  to  shutoff the  power  using  RH  7.2.   Tried
recompiling the kernel,  etc.  Has anyone gotten power-off  to work on
an SMP?  I would love some suggestions.

Thanks,

marc

--

2. AHA-1542CF+QUANTUM L525S

3. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

4. Still Logged In?

5. Matrox MGA Millenium

6. Shutdown and autopower off problem on K6-2

7. test

8. Help with DFI Mainboard p5bv3+

9. Sorry, xv3.10.a not xv3.20.a..

10. v2.4.1-v2.4.3pre2 doesnt power off by halt or shutdown -h

11. Auto power off on shutdown?

12. No power off at shutdown