Which PCI video card?

Post by Jonathan Hea » Wed, 29 Mar 1995 00:57:56

Help please?
I'm about to purchase a PCI video card. I was thinking of the Diamond
Stealth 2 MByte DRAM PCI card but reading around I get the impression
that Diamond cards are a little dodgy. Is this true?
I'd be looking to run Linux, Windows and DOS. I'm not after something
blisteringly fast (it would help though), just something that works
_reasonably_ in all the above without major headaches.
Is there any other similarly priced cards that would be more suited
to my needs? I'm thinking about the ATI MACH64 cards specifically.
Any problems with these?

Cheers, Jon.

BTW - What cards would suit PC Solaris?

Which PCI video card?

Post by Andreas Schiffl » Wed, 29 Mar 1995 04:39:21

: Help please?
: I'm about to purchase a PCI video card. I was thinking of the Diamond
: Stealth 2 MByte DRAM PCI card but reading around I get the impression
: that Diamond cards are a little dodgy. Is this true?

Don't know, but I have a Vision 864 PCI card with SDAC and 2MB DRAM which is
the same chip configuration as on a Diamond exept for the clock chip.

Works fine for me in all modes under X_3.1.1. Got it for Can$160 from Empac
in Markham, Ontario.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------_
 Andreas Schiffler  Institute of Space and Atmospheric Studies (ISAS),

------------------------------------------------------------------------_

1. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

I have a 2+ year old NEC machine which has an on-board video
chip (Trio64V+) .. I purchased a newer 3D video card last uear, right
now the brand escapes me

When I tried last year with RedHat 5.1, linux would never recognize
the PCI card, and always saw the on-board video, I can't remember what
went wrong, but I could never get X configured properly with the card
in, so I removed it

now that I am using Mandrake 6.2, will this later version of Unix be
able to handle the PCI card better?

Bowden

2. KDE subject to QT design flaw

3. Jaton Video 67 PRO PCI VIDEO CARD DRIVERS

4. Lotus Notes mails to Sun

5. How to use PCI video card instead of onboard video?

6. Linux on Compaq Proliant 2000

7. ??: Mandrake, XWindows and Trident PCI Video Card Error - Can't Detect Video RAM???

8. Help! - problems doing serial i/o

9. Will X work with the Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI video card?

10. genoa 8864 s3 pci/ other 64 bit pci video cards

11. Dosemu on a PCI bus with a PCI video card

12. PCI video cards ?

13. pci video card on mac hardware