Cyrix 6x86 and AMD/NexGen PCI Motherboard with Nx586

Cyrix 6x86 and AMD/NexGen PCI Motherboard with Nx586

Post by Bruce Bigb » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I'm in the market for a motherboard and CPU, and have been looking hard
at the Intel Pentium motherboard with P133 Processor, 3/4 PCI, 4 ISA,
ZIF, 4 EDO Slots, Flash AMI Bios, 2 Serial, 1 Parallel, E-IDE 4, 256/512
Write Back cache.  I plan on buying 32 MB of RAM, with RAM at $10.00 per
MB and all.  I want to be able to run Windows NT 4.0 and Linux 2.x, and
Sun's Solaris.  However I've been looking at these Cyrix and AMD
motherboard-processor combinations and would like an honest opinion
about the experiences that anyone has had on running software on these
machine and compatibility.  I would like to have information on the
following:

1) Compatibility with the software:  Windows NT, Linux 2.x, Windows 95,
Solaris x86.
2) Relative speed with Pentium.  Please qualify which Pentium.
3) Does anyone know anything about the healt of AMD/NexGen and Cyrix?  I
don't want to purchase a motherboard from a company that's going to
abandon the market soon, or is not healthy.
4) Which is a better choice--the AMD/NexGen or the Cyrix 6x86?
5) Compatibility with various peripherals--SCSI, Ethernet, and video
adapters, etc.

Please respond by email.  I appreciate all responses.

Bruce

1. NexGen, Cyrix or AMD 5/6x86

Hi everyone,

        I'm interested in trading out my 486/100 system for one of the
above beasts, and I'm hoping to get some info on which
processor/motherboard combo I'll see the best results with (running Linux,
of course).  I played with a NexGen 5x86 a little, and was quite impressed
(although I think the motherboard sucked).  I would only want a NexGen
that has an FPU.  For the motherboard, I want something of good quality,
PCI, and that will run the chip well.  Any suggestions you can offer
(success/failure stories, too) would be deeply appreciated.  Thanks again

dedicated connection will die soon. =[

Thanks,
-Bryan
--
# B. James Phillippe # System Administrator, eternity.aa.net #

# System Technician, SSC., Inc. (Linux Journal; www.ssc.com) #
# Specializing in UNIX, Linux, Internet and networking stuff #

2. linux APUS PPC

3. NexGen (was re:cyrix,amd, or intel ...)

4. Beta testers needed for drawing program

5. NexGen, Cyrix MotherBoards

6. commpile error, please help

7. Cyrix 6x86, motherboard, Linux...

8. FTP server with LDAP integration

9. AMD K6, Cyrix 6x86, versus Pentium II

10. Cyrix 6x86 motherboard

11. Cyrix 6x86 CPU & Motherboard

12. Nexgen NX586 P90 and networking cards

13. Linux and Nexgen Nx586?