Sound Blaster 16 Pro Pnp X CDROM 4x FUNAI CD 420F setup

Sound Blaster 16 Pro Pnp X CDROM 4x FUNAI CD 420F setup

Post by af » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi all

My linux box don't recognize my SB16 and too the CDROM 4x Funai CD
420f.
I tried several types of disk boot driver of the my Slackware 3.1
Linux box (kernel 2.0.29).
I use floppy boot kernel.
The CDROM is attached in the SB16 Pro . The SB occupied the ide2 (in
the ide0 is  my two HD,s and ide1 is free).

Any help ??

Thanks in advance

Any help would be appreciated
(Any critique to my article or mail would be appreciated too !!!)

"Please don't flame. I'm an poor newbie

Pentium 133 Mhz, 16 MB, CD ROM 4X SB16
Linux 2.0.27 Slackware 3.1 (96) Boot Disk
hda (w95), hdb1 (dos) and hdb2,3 (LINUX)

Post by Mark Hea » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

: My linux box don't recognize my SB16 and too the CDROM 4x Funai CD
: 420f.
: I use floppy boot kernel.
: The CDROM is attached in the SB16 Pro . The SB occupied the ide2 (in
: the ide0 is  my two HD,s and ide1 is free).

Looks like you haven't recompiled your kernel.

if you haven't already, cd to /usr/src/linux/
type:
make config (answer all onscreen prompts...)
make dep
make clean
make zlilo (15 minutes later you should have a new kernel ready to boot)

(or somthing like this)  Check out the Kernelcompiling howto.
You will also need to install the kernel sources if you haven't already.

--
| mark heath         | Netspace Online Systems http://www.netspace.net.au/ |
| PPro 200, 64Mb, Toray PD/CDrom, DDS-1 DAT, AHA 2940, Gus PnP, Et6000/4Mb |

Sound Blaster 16 Pro Pnp X CDROM 4x FUNAI CD 420F setup

Post by Radovan Bra » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>My linux box don't recognize my SB16 and too the CDROM 4x Funai CD
>420f.
>I tried several types of disk boot driver of the my Slackware 3.1
>Linux box (kernel 2.0.29).
>I use floppy boot kernel.
>The CDROM is attached in the SB16 Pro . The SB occupied the ide2 (in
>the ide0 is  my two HD,s and ide1 is free).

   ide2 is not detected automatically at boot-up. You need to put
   something like "ide2=0x1e8,0x3ee,11" (just "ide2=0x1e8" should
   be enough) as the "command line" option at LILO prompt, or put
   'append = "ide2=0x1e8"' (the inner quotes needed) in /etc/lilo.conf,
   and re-run lilo. Just been discussed in another thread.
   See also /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt.

      RB

Quote:>Any help ??

Post by Matt Kirsc » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all

> My linux box don't recognize my SB16 and too the CDROM 4x Funai CD
> 420f.
> I tried several types of disk boot driver of the my Slackware 3.1
> Linux box (kernel 2.0.29).
> I use floppy boot kernel.
> The CDROM is attached in the SB16 Pro . The SB occupied the ide2 (in
> the ide0 is  my two HD,s and ide1 is free).

Connect the CDROM to ide1 as master.
Once Linux is installed, you need to compile the sound driver as a
module, and use isapnptools to configure the sound card portion
of your Sound Blaster PnP.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

Sound Blaster 16 Pro Pnp X CDROM 4x FUNAI CD 420F setup

Post by Matt Kirsc » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

> >My linux box don't recognize my SB16 and too the CDROM 4x Funai CD
> >420f.
> >I tried several types of disk boot driver of the my Slackware 3.1
> >Linux box (kernel 2.0.29).
> >I use floppy boot kernel.
> >The CDROM is attached in the SB16 Pro . The SB occupied the ide2 (in
> >the ide0 is  my two HD,s and ide1 is free).

>    ide2 is not detected automatically at boot-up. You need to put
>    something like "ide2=0x1e8,0x3ee,11" (just "ide2=0x1e8" should
>    be enough) as the "command line" option at LILO prompt, or put
>    'append = "ide2=0x1e8"' (the inner quotes needed) in /etc/lilo.conf,
>    and re-run lilo. Just been discussed in another thread.
>    See also /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt.

Except for the fact that this is a PnP SoundBlaster with a PnP IDE
interface. Unless he already has some sort of warm-boot setup in effect
that initializes the SB PnP's IDE port in DOS, your idea won't work.

Since the person in question has ide1 free, with no hard drives,
he can safely put the CDROM on that interface as master, and he
won't have to deal with setting up loadlin and/or a second DOS
boot partition. You can use isapnptools to initialize the card,
but the IDE driver is already loaded, and it cannot be reloaded
or reset to detect the tertiary interface on the Sound Blaster.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

1. Sound Blaster 16 PnP x Creative CD-ROM 4x PC2 Question

Hi
Excuse me if that is an very simple question.
My CD-ROM is connected in the SB16 PnP. My box Linux don't recognize.
The question is what the type of my CD-ROM : ATAPI, IDE, proprietary
?????
My CD-ROM is an OAK Techonology OTI-011 and use drive 0, port 168 and
irq 10 .
My Sound Blaster 16 PnP use irq 5 and port 220.
Is there any driver to it? How can I do this work???
I need your help!!!!

Tks in advance
ademar

2. turning off rpc.ttdbserverd service

3. Intel Ether Express PRO/10, Sound Blaster 16 (PnP devices)

4. Xconfig settings on a Compaq Deskpro 486/33L

5. Sound Blaster 16 PnP setup trouble

6. how to remove a stale mount point

7. Sound Blaster 16 and TEAC 4x drive

8. screen resolutions

9. Sound Blaster CD and 16 bit Sound Card.....sigh!

10. Chinon CDS-535 CD-ROM/Sound Blaster 16 SCSI-2 Mount problems

11. SB 16 PnP: 8-bit sound works, 16-bit sound broken?

12. Linux and Sound Blaster 16 PnP ...HELP......please

13. Sound Blaster 16 PnP Problem